General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Got 2 3800 V6 Questions, Injector Tick and Replacing the 2 Piece Drive Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got 2 3800 V6 Questions, Injector Tick and Replacing the 2 Piece Drive Shaft

Ok one I picked this car up for my wife because she wanted a Camaro that was better on Gas then mine... 3800 V6 Manual perfect lol.

Anyway the car ran great I drove it 100+ miles home with fuel system cleaner in it. Got home great, next day fine till half way through the day I heard a tick... then the car started losing power. Pull the fuel filter and it was black so I replaced it as well as did all the other tune up items to be expected (Plugs, Wires, Oil Flush and Fill, Seafoam the top end etc)

Well the car seems fine and listening with a scope I don't hear the tick in the VC's but I hear it from the middle fuel injector on the Drivers side... is this just a fuel injector? I am not 100% sure and I keep meaning to pull the injector harness but they are covered by everything on that side of the motor and I forgot lol. Wanted to know if anyone else had this problem.

Also I put an LS1 Drive Shaft on my LT4 Camaro, so I have a spare drive shaft as a back up sitting here and I wanted to know if it was a direct swap from my wifes 2 piece... and why they used a 2 piece to begin with... are there any gains either?
--From some reading around on Google it claims when GM Switched to the Single Piece Steel Drive Shaft in the V6's it caused the rear tranny seal to leak and sometimes come out... Any input on this?

Thanks!

Last edited by Cross; 05-22-2008 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that problem when I was running 93 with my injectors ticking at idle. I switched to 89 and haven't heard it since. The ticking maybe from the injector cleaner. Wait a few days until the cleaner is all gone from the system.

Now the drive shaft I swap for a one piece alm. one an replaced thge tail shaft just cause no problems at all. For gain less resticting no middle bearing less rotating mass, you might see minimal gain if not any.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

I am not expecting much just wanted to do some little things for my wife that I could with what I have sitting around.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Is the tick loud? just got same thing for my GF and I did the same as you and now it is ticking.. but I've been thinking its a lifter. Does yours tick with the RPM's? I can hear our cars tick when cars are beside us and what not.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

I used a scope to listen to it which is how I found it to be the injector (Not to mention the fuel problem that started it so it seems).

However its not quiet or loud you can hear it with the windows down next to someone somewhat but with all the lifter tick I have heard I thought the same thing until I listened with the scope and it was not anywhere near the VC's.

It does move with RPM but then an injector would as its pulse would increase. The easiest way to test is to remove the harness on each one at a time... however since I know mine is on the drivers side and I have been lazy about trying to get at the harness lol.

Quick Reply: Got 2 3800 V6 Questions, Injector Tick and Replacing the 2 Piece Drive Shaft