General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Driver window

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driver window

My driver's side window has started messing up. If the car is off you can actually hear a kind of beep or whine coming from under the dash. Most of the time if I wait a while and try again it goes right up. For now I'm walking in to fast food places for a while.

Normally I would say the wiring or is bad or the motor is bad but what is that whine/beeping sound?

It is so quiet you can't hear it when the car is on and barely when it is off.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was acting up a while back..making a weird sound and going up slow..what I would rec doing is taking the door apart and cleaning the track. Mine was dirty and never had the problem again after I cleaned it up in there.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Sounds like your motor is going bad. I've had two go out like that. No movement up - go away for a while - then it will go up when things cool off. The problem is likely with the cutoff circuitry in the motor that turns it off when the window is all the way up/down. When it goes bad, it will trip prematurely from the normal resistance/weight of the window.

You might also try turning the car off then back on to see if the cutoff switch inside the motor resets. You can also tug up on the glass as you press the switch. Sometime, this gives the motor enough help before the shutoff circuit in the motor trips. If these work, you are just buying time. The motor will crap out completely at some point.

The noises you hear in the dash are likely the express up-down module for the driver's side door. Probably not an issue.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Sounds like your motor is going bad. I've had two go out like that. No movement up - go away for a while - then it will go up when things cool off. The problem is likely with the cutoff circuitry in the motor that turns it off when the window is all the way up/down. When it goes bad, it will trip prematurely from the normal resistance/weight of the window.

You might also try turning the car off then back on to see if the cutoff switch inside the motor resets. You can also tug up on the glass as you press the switch. Sometime, this gives the motor enough help before the shutoff circuit in the motor trips. If these work, you are just buying time. The motor will crap out completely at some point.

The noises you hear in the dash are likely the express up-down module for the driver's side door. Probably not an issue.
10-4 sounds like a motor for me Thanks guys!