General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Driver window won't go up!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver window won't go up!

So, my driver window has been stuck down for the last few days.. Passenger works fine.

When I press the switch down, I can hear the relay clicking under the dash.. From what I understand that ONLY powers the window going down, and has nothing to do with it going up...

Is it possible that the window motor is dead? The window wasn't going slow or anything..

This happened about a month ago, and it started working again for no apparent reason..

What do you guys think?
Old 05-28-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like the motor is going out.. mine would sometimes go up and then stop other times it wouldnt go down at all. i finally changed it and its been fine ever since
Old 05-28-2008, 04:18 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

There is a common issue with the wiring being a little loose where it plugs into the buttons on the driver's side door as well. Pull the assembly off the door panel and hold the up button while jiggling wires to see if it goes up.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 05-28-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah we did that, it did look loose, but it wasn't going anywhere.. We took off the entire door panel, and messed with a bunch of stuff.. but nothing worked.

If I do need to get a new motor, I want to make sure it is that before anything else.. GM told me it costs like $179

But, I thought if the motor was going bad it would start to go slow before it died? And seeing as how this happened for a couple days a month ago or so, and then it started working again fine for no reason, I am wondering if it's something else..?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

?????
Old 05-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yes, a motor going bad would give you warning but... the window motor "unit" is more than just a motor. There is circuitry in the case that auto-shuts off the motor when it senses that the glass is all the way up/down. This circuitry is known to go bad and AutoZone carries a re-designed unit that they claim has extra sealing that keeps this area from doing you in. (And it will cost you much less than a new GM part.) If they give you a motor that looks like its different - that's the re-designed unit.

If you want the glass up while you work on putting in a new motor, you might try (taking off the door panel if you have to get to it) pulling up on the glass as you press the switch. Sometimes this extra "help" is enough to keep the auto-shut off gadget from becoming involved and will let you get the window up. (If you get it up, just don't put it down again until you have the new motor in.)
Old 05-28-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wssix99
Yes, a motor going bad would give you warning but... the window motor "unit" is more than just a motor. There is circuitry in the case that auto-shuts off the motor when it senses that the glass is all the way up/down. This circuitry is known to go bad and AutoZone carries a re-designed unit that they claim has extra sealing that keeps this area from doing you in. (And it will cost you much less than a new GM part.) If they give you a motor that looks like its different - that's the re-designed unit.

If you want the glass up while you work on putting in a new motor, you might try (taking off the door panel if you have to get to it) pulling up on the glass as you press the switch. Sometimes this extra "help" is enough to keep the auto-shut off gadget from becoming involved and will let you get the window up. (If you get it up, just don't put it down again until you have the new motor in.)
Yeah we took off the door panel last night, I tried to see where the motor was, but I couldn't find it.. I saw a big gear in there, and a couple of wires (light blue and brown) coming from the switch and going inside the inner part of the door some where, but I couldn't really see the motor.

I can call autozone and find out how much it costs, I might just pick it up and see if it fixes it.. but how do you guys go about getting it in and where is it?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got mine off ebay. and they are like 30 dollars. It worked great. it went out liek 20'000 miles ago and still going just fine.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

How did it act when it went out? And how did you go about replacing it ?
Old 05-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Teching In

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

I will be using this write up some time in June.

Last edited by BLACK93Trans_AM; 05-29-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

I think your motor is going out man, i had a similar problem where it started acting up a few months back, then it just began working fine for a couple months. Now it's acting up, to where it rolls down only so much and stops. Then gotta wait a few seconds before i can do it again. Lately, ive just been having to grab the damn window and push it down while pressing the button in order for the window to go all the way down, and then i do the same for raising it back up. Im in the process of changing both my Window Motor's right now, i got both motor's from Autozone for about $120 w/ Lifetime Warranty. Ill be using the WriteUp that's posted above my post right now.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by M-Ten
How did it act when it went out? And how did you go about replacing it ?
I've gone through six motors so far. 2 completely died with no warning. 2 slowed down gradually over time until they were just about dead. 2 would go partially up/down and then stop. I'm sure there are other failure modes, as well, but these are all common. (I haven't had a motor last me more than 30K miles - but I also haven't tried the new AutoZone design, either.)
Old 05-30-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Your window motor is bad...I got one at advance auto parts with a lifetime warranty for $36 ... the aftermarket one is much better than the original ... this one hauls azzz compared to the original ... it only takes about 45 minutes to replace the motor ... use the link in the above post ...
Old 05-30-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh ok, how long did it take you to install it? I will try to tackle it this weekend.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:29 AM
Teching In

mine did the same thing. pop your switch panel out go to the auto parts store and buy the chrome 4 prong gm window switch in the help section, plug it in and see if it works. if it does, take the chrome buttons off it then carefully take yours off your original you first have to take the switch out of the panel then replace them onto your new switch. it doesnt hurt to replace a slow motor, but low voltage will kill'em all. pm me if it works, dont forget 2 lube
Old 06-02-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you have any pics? ^
Old 06-02-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BLACK93Trans_AM
http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

I will be using this write up some time in June.

I used the same write up on my TA .Bought a motor from advance auto parts for $50.00 with life time replacement warranty. Take your time
Old 06-02-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I checked with them, they siad it would cost me like $93??

Last edited by M-Ten; 06-02-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...I just picked up a window motor from the Autozone where I live and it only cost me $54. However, if I were to get the regulators with it...it would have been like $125.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by M-Ten
I checked with them, they siad it would cost me like $93??
Sometimes the motors stick because of corrosion in the motor. Mine started to stick and I got it unstuck and it lasted for abotu 3 more years.

Take the door panel off, get a rubber hammer and smack the **** out of it right where the motor is. It should start to work if its a corrosion issue. If it does move and work again, get a can of WD-40 or better yet, SeaFoam spray, and use the entire bottle spraying the entire motor. Get it inside as much as possible.

Give it a try, that has been the problem with dozens of people I know over the years.

Quick Reply: Driver window won't go up!