General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Odometer Rollback Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Odometer Rollback Question

I ran a carfax on the transam i'm looking at. It's had 4 owners. The 2nd owner, who owned it for 6 years, shows an odometer rollback 2 years after he bought the car, showing 23k+ miles down to 14K 2 years after he bought it.. And then he had it for another 4 years. But, the year after it shows the rollback, it's at 40k miles..? I doubt he drove that much in a year. You think this is just a clerical error? Plus can you "rollback" the digital gauge or what?! I don't think he would roll it back considering it was mid-ownership, not like he was selling it or anything.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it can change if the instrument cluster was changed out.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

What kind of record does it show the odometer reading to be, an inspection, title change, ?

Ryan
Old 05-29-2008, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Hey slow, here you are

Title or registration issued
Loan or lien reported
POTENTIAL ODOMETER ROLLBACK
Registration updated when owner moved
the vehicle to a new location

CARFAX Advisor™
CARFAX analyzed the mileage history and the sources of this information. Our analysis indicates a potential odometer rollback. Please verify the mileage with your dealer or a qualified mechanic.

Idk how you would verify the milage..
Old 05-29-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
I ran a carfax on the transam i'm looking at. It's had 4 owners. The 2nd owner, who owned it for 6 years, shows an odometer rollback 2 years after he bought the car, showing 23k+ miles down to 14K 2 years after he bought it.. And then he had it for another 4 years. But, the year after it shows the rollback, it's at 40k miles..? I doubt he drove that much in a year. You think this is just a clerical error? Plus can you "rollback" the digital gauge or what?! I don't think he would roll it back considering it was mid-ownership, not like he was selling it or anything.
The only place the odometer reading is stored is in the guage cluster, nothing in the PCM. So he would have had to change the cluster. I changed my guage cluster 4 years ago when I got a 200mph speedo. I bought the new cluster from a dealership in Phoenix and they mailed it to Granatelli. They asked me what mileage am I at right now so they can put it in to the new cluster. My car was at 67,000 miles, I told them it was at 22,000 and thats what they put in. Quick way to wipe miles of the car. Before I did this I called 5 different Pontiac and Chevy dealerships and asked if the mileage is only stored in the cluster and they all said YES, its the only way to know true mileage and that the PCM has no info on it saved.

My car had never been at a dealership or anywhere esle so there was no record at all anywhere.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Veteran

That could be many different things.

He wrote down the wrong number on the form. An error.
Carfax could have the wrong data.
The cluster could of been replaced and someone didn't note the sticker.
Insurance or inspection could of reported the wrong number...
Old 05-29-2008, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah i see what you guys mean. My only problem here is that I was looking to buy a warranty for the car from CARCHEX if I get it. (It's being sold by a person not a dealership) and I was doing an online quote before with a live help person. Once they saw the odometer rollback they said they cant offer a warranty. I'm still trying to figure out if this means that the car has more mileage than it really does, or if the problem was corrected..
Old 05-29-2008, 06:33 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you take the gauge cluster apart you can seperate the odometer from the rest. You can actually just roll the odometer back and stick it in the car. A guy on here that completely redid his car had pictures of him doing it.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
If you take the gauge cluster apart you can seperate the odometer from the rest. You can actually just roll the odometer back and stick it in the car. A guy on here that completely redid his car had pictures of him doing it.
You can't do that on a digital odometer. Not unless you reflash it's electronics or something.

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
You think this is just a clerical error?
Personally I think the guy put a different odometer in it to not run up the miles and for some reason forgot to change it out during an inspection or something.

You're never going to get that off the record. No one in the world can prove what happened and no one with any authority is going to care enough to investigate it to find out.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you not read post #5?

It costs $300 to buy a new guage cluster with any mileage you want entered onto it. So its very easy to roll back the mileage on a 1998-2002 F-Body. After I did mine, no less than 10 other guys did the same thing I did.

So, its simple. You will be buying a car that you have no clue how many REAL miles are on it, period. If you can't get a warranty, then pass on that car and find another one.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds shady,
rolling back the odometer
Old 05-29-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NemeSS
sounds shady,
rolling back the odometer
Its been done since the day the first car was made with an odometer and it will continue to be done as long as humans are on earth.

I know no less than 100 people that have done it. So that means there are 10's of thousands nationwide that have done it. Its the American way, like lawsuits .
Old 05-30-2008, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Although that may be true, you will find yourself in a jail cell for trying to play it off and sell that car without disclosing it. And at that point if your not being shady, good luck finding anyone dumb enough to want to buy your car at that point. If your going to hold on the car, fine whatever creams your twinkie. There is no real point in changing out your cluster to alter the mileage, unless its broke.

Originally Posted by needadvice
Its been done since the day the first car was made with an odometer and it will continue to be done as long as humans are on earth.

I know no less than 100 people that have done it. So that means there are 10's of thousands nationwide that have done it. Its the American way, like lawsuits .
Old 05-30-2008, 02:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1sick'98WS6
Although that may be true, you will find yourself in a jail cell for trying to play it off and sell that car without disclosing it. And at that point if your not being shady, good luck finding anyone dumb enough to want to buy your car at that point. If your going to hold on the car, fine whatever creams your twinkie. There is no real point in changing out your cluster to alter the mileage, unless its broke.
Hell, I lost track of how much mileage I actually have on my car. I've gone on long trips and I would put my stock cluster back in so the mileage would rack up on that one, then when I got home I'd put my 200mph speedo cluster back in. I've had my car since new so I really don't care what the government thinks. If I ever sell it I'll tell them I have no clue what the mileage is, if they want it fine, if they don't, see ya. I'll even give them the stock cluster and tell them what I've been doing. its way too heavily modded from bumper to bumper for anyone to care.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:03 AM
TECH Regular

You might as well just remove the odometer altogether. Or have it say 'Too good for that.' LOL
Old 05-30-2008, 04:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Basic information about 'rollback' (even digital) from NHTSA. It is a federal offense with state laws that can further fines. Might want to scan Congressional documents, previous owners may be in the hot seat.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...te/809441.html

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...howdisplay.pdf
Old 05-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by needadvice
Did you not read post #5?

It costs $300 to buy a new guage cluster with any mileage you want entered onto it. So its very easy to roll back the mileage on a 1998-2002 F-Body. After I did mine, no less than 10 other guys did the same thing I did.

So, its simple. You will be buying a car that you have no clue how many REAL miles are on it, period. If you can't get a warranty, then pass on that car and find another one.
I don't know if thats in response to me or not but a digital odometer cannot be ROLLED back. Like the old spinning wheel type anyone could take those out and roll it back themselves, and it's free.
Like you said the CARS MILEAGE can be rolled back with a low mileage odometer.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Well i was saying "rolled back" figuritively, not literally. Obviously a digital odometer cannot be rolled back. If you guys saw the carfax, you would see how it doesn't make sense. I'd say its almost definitely an error. Thanks for those links gearhed i'm gonna check them out now.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

Hmm.. so did you give me that page just for info or to report the odometer issue? lol
Old 05-30-2008, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

check the dealership under the VIN and see if the gauge was replaced.. doesn't mean he didn't replace it himself but just another avenue to try.

Quick Reply: Odometer Rollback Question