General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

what is this sound?? VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is this sound?? VIDEO

so my car starting making this sound the day after i had my TR55's put in... it had never made this sound before.... pay close attention to when i'm in 2nd gear, it's the loud rattling sound... sounds like its coming from the driver's side.... it does this after the car has been sitting for awhile and then goes away after i take it through the first 4 or 5 gears... pay close attention to 20secs, 14secs, and 9secs.. u can hear it pretty good... please give me some feedback on this... thanks

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/l...=carsound1.flv
Old 06-02-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Did you take off the passenger side AIR tube and not use a new gasket?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Launching!

i actually didn't change them, a local shop did... the guy told me they didnt remove anything to change the plugs... but even if he did, i checked and both gaskets are still there....
Old 06-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm....if you do not have a service engine light on....I would bet that something is not bloted up cuz the engine will let you know if you have a misfire or something like that. And even though they said they didn't remove anything to change the plugs make sure everything is bolted up. I know on my 02' SS I remove the air tube that runs up from my headers to get to the third plug on the passenger side. I technically do not have to do this, cuz I can reach the back two plugs from underneath...it just makes it easier. And yeah...that sound is a lot like the sound I had after I installed my headers and did not have my EGR block off plate on yet. It is quiet at idle but once you give it about 2,000 rpm or higher it would make a rattle/tapping noise. So, I recommend just checking around. Keep me posted.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Banned

Going from a video is tough. If you didn't say anything and just put up the video I'd say it was a bent pushrod or valvetrain problem. Maybe they took it for a hard test drive?

Maybe one plug didn't get tightened all the way?

Other than that just check for something rattling or rubbing. I bent an airtube doing plugs once and it rubbed a hole in the AC line, not what your problem is but maybe you got one hitting something else.

They may have even dropped something that landed on top of the header collector, and got stuck between the tubes. An old plug or tool. I had a bolt drop there once and made a similiar noise.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Launching!

thanks for the response guys..... and yea it's not throwing an SES light and there is no noticable misfire or anything.... what's wierd is that it only does this sound when the car has been sitting awhile and the engine is cold, and it goes away after like 30secs of driving.... if it was something loose wouldnt it make that sound all the time?!.... and it doesn't do it at idle or even under throttle in nuetral, only when i'm in gear... and i've noticed it's worse if i'm going up a hill....
after i noticed the noise i took the car back to the garage and the guy told me he double checked all the plugs to make sure they were in good.... no tellin if he really did check or not... i've looked and can't find anything loose or missing.... so i'm starting to think it has nothing to do with the new plugs... even tho it would be kind of ironic if wasn't the plugs since it started making this sound the day after the plugs were put in
Old 06-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Launching!

anybody else care to chime in on this..... maybe some of u mechanics?!
Old 06-03-2008, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

Might be worth checking the tightness of those new plugs...make sure one isn't just "hand-tightened" ya know? Other than that, go back to the shop and have one of those guys ride shotgun...let him hear it for himself.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

check the oil dip stick tube.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

also maybe they bent a heat shield when trying to put the plugs in and its touching something and rattling
Old 06-04-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it goes away when you put it in neutral then its probably something connected to the engine or near the trans b/c the tension sounds to me like its making the sound. my Y does the same thing on my car and goes away eventually