General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

1996 Trans Am Gauge Cluster Removal

Old 06-06-2008, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Trans Am Gauge Cluster Removal

I have been searching for a couple of hours now and can't seem to find a good thread (although I thought I had seen one on here in the past) on the steps start to finish on removing the gauge cluster on a firebird.

Basically I think the guy I bought the car from tried to hybridize a 1997+ gauge cluster onto a 1996 car (looks like he cut out the digital odometer section of the panel and some how overlaid that onto the original panel ). Also when this was done I think he put the speedo needle back on incorrectly (consistently reads about 5mph fast--makes for a good 0-60 run though).

So this weekend I want to pull the gauge cluster off and see what damage he did and if nothing else try to fix the speedo.

Questions:
1) Anyone have a step by step showing the easiest way to remove the cluster (without removing the entire dashboard)?
2) Anyone have any advice on fixing the speedo?
Old 06-06-2008, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

it's easy pull the dash, unscrew the cluster, unplug gauge wires (just remember what goes where) and install the new one then reverse procedure it's not hard.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Devil 99'
it's easy pull the dash, unscrew the cluster, unplug gauge wires (just remember what goes where) and install the new one then reverse procedure it's not hard.
wow, you don't have to lower the steering wheel columb to get them out of the pre-1998 cars? You're lucky.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 Trans Am Gauge Cluster Removal