General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car died in the middle of the road..

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car died in the middle of the road..

Months ago, I had put my optima battery from 2006, back into the car and started her up (Battery had been sitting in the garage next to the car). She ran fine for the entire trip except for the moment I got back to the driveway and began to pull in.

It was at this point that the car flat out died on me. Right in the road infront of my house. (Luckily not out on the interstate or somthing.)

I tried to start the car again, but nothing. No lights or anything, dead as a door nail.

After a frustrating several minutes standing in the road. I tried it again, and just like that, everything was back on.

Previous to this, the car would sometimes run, and then after sitting for maybe hours, I would try to take it out again and nothing.

Could this just be a bad battery?

Today I tried to start it with the old optima, and it would not go, then i put in a new one and it started right up. You would think this is just a bad battery issue, however this car has started up just fine with the old battery, only to die again later on. So I just don't know.

Should I investigate further? Or write this off as a bad battery that was running on its final juices?
Old 06-06-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

I'd say the battery is on it's way out. Low voltage to the computer will make it do strange things. When you take the battery out for the winter, put a Battery Tender on it and should last a lot longer.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say it is either u have a bad grounding issue or some wire or something is loose
Old 06-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Launching!

yea I thought it was a bad ground too, but when i tried both batteries today, only one worked. I guess I will just have to wait and see.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by planemech2
I'd say the battery is on it's way out. Low voltage to the computer will make it do strange things. When you take the battery out for the winter, put a Battery Tender on it and should last a lot longer.
do you need a certain battery tender for an optima?