General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SES light after plug/oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SES light after plug/oil change

what did I screw up that would set off the SES light?
Old 06-07-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

all i did was take off the A.I.R tube on the passenger side to get to the passenger side spark plugs. anyone have any ideas? the only weird thing is that on start up it make a "tick tick tick" noise, almost like an exhaust leak but then it quickly went away in the space of 2 seconds.

Last edited by Ironxcross; 06-07-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you replace the AIR gasket with a NEW one. I tried to reuse the old one and had the same problem. When removing it you may notice that some of the gasket is on the tube and some of it is on the manifold. I re-removed the AIR tube, scrapped off the old gasket, cleaned it up real nice with a wire brush, installed the new gasket and sealed great.

Also, make sure that you don't have any loose spark plugs and that the wires are seated nicely on the plugs and coil packs.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

update:

I decided to let the car figure itself out, so I unplugged the battery for about 30 minutes. After plugging it back in, first start up was strange, the car idled at 500 rpms, but it was smooth. Let it sit for 10 minutes, went out and started it again, idle was normal, SES light was out, everything seemed ok. Took it for a drive, drove normal, everything seems to be ok. What the hell happened?

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
did you replace the AIR gasket with a NEW one. I tried to reuse the old one and had the same problem. When removing it you may notice that some of the gasket is on the tube and some of it is on the manifold. I re-removed the AIR tube, scrapped off the old gasket, cleaned it up real nice with a wire brush, installed the new gasket and sealed great.

Also, make sure that you don't have any loose spark plugs and that the wires are seated nicely on the plugs and coil packs.

I did use the old gasket. I checked the spark plug wires and spark plugs several times, they seem to be good.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

I would just pick up a new AIR gasket just to be sure, they are like $1.50 from the dealer
Old 06-07-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

I would just pick up a new AIR gasket just to be sure, they are like $1.50 from the dealer
Do you think the car is drivable? Theres no ticking or anything. Everything seems normal.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Definitely drivable, if you dont have any more ticking you should be fine.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Definitely drivable, if you dont have any more ticking you should be fine.
well thats a relief. the idle thing and initial ticking kinda had me spooked for a bit though. any idea what they could be?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Resident

not sure about the SES light but the ticking still could have been the AIR tube but maybe when those manifolds got nice and hot it helped seal the gasket.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:11 AM
12 Second Club

the ticking could be just the oil waiting to get pumped back up from the pan to the heads.

i would say that you could go to like an autozone or somthing and get your code read but i think California has a law agianst that or not.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by waiting2bl33d
the ticking could be just the oil waiting to get pumped back up from the pan to the heads.

i would say that you could go to like an autozone or somthing and get your code read but i think California has a law agianst that or not.
but the SES light is off now, so I don't know. My friend has a code reader, I'll him do it since its really not so much of an issue. I took the car out again and its fine, maybe it just had an issue with the new oil and plugs on initial start up.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
but the SES light is off now, so I don't know. My friend has a code reader, I'll him do it since its really not so much of an issue. I took the car out again and its fine, maybe it just had an issue with the new oil and plugs on initial start up.

it's might be in stored codes, not current, definately worth a shot to check it