General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Burning out window motor or misaligned window?

Old 06-08-2008, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning out window motor or misaligned window?

So my window motor rolls considerably slower when the window is on its last... about 3 inches of travel to the top. Is this an alignment issue or a window motor? Is there an alignment place toward the front of the car or is it all directed toward the back of the car?
Old 06-08-2008, 03:27 AM
Launching!

hmmm not sure however i would like to no this to bc my friends monte carlo does it to
Old 06-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Banned

my car did the same damn thing on both sides and it was the window motors. hell half the time mine would stop like an inch from the top lol
Old 06-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It sounds like an early sign that your window motor is on its way out.

During the last three inches of travel, you'll probably notice (if you take the door panel off) that the window is gliding up against the two felt pads bolted to the top of the door. When this happens, the motor encounters some additional resistance.

If the motor is weakening, it may be chugging along when the glass starts riding against these pads. I would not suggest adjusting the pads, if this is your problem, because they make sure the window is contacting the weatherstripping properly.

If this really bothers you, and you are going to look at a new motor - you may look for some posts here regarding replacing the brushes or cleaning out the motor. That may give you some strength back and you'd have nothing to loose by cracking it open if you are looking at a replacement anyway.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Yea I guess Ill take off and apart my motor and see what's up with that peice of crap, sounds like a motor to me cuz I took the two felt pads off for a test run and she still had the problem.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Banned

when u do do the motor make sure u wind the circular spring back the right way =x lmao my pass side hauls *** on the way down and a lil slow on the way back up with a new motor
Old 06-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by slp--firehawk
Yea I guess Ill take off and apart my motor and see what's up with that peice of crap, sounds like a motor to me cuz I took the two felt pads off for a test run and she still had the problem.
That's a little weird. There must still be a rub - if the problem only happens in one place. Is the window rubbing on the weatherstripping around the window opening when it slows down? If so, the solution may be to push the felt pads towards the glass, so it doesn't rub so hard on the weatherstripping. (That's what they are there for.)

Search this Thread