General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Not your typical A/C problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not your typical A/C problem...

Ok, admittedly I don't drive my WS6 very much. It's a '99 Formula with only about 32K miles on it. It's been parked for a while waiting for an oil change and new brakes while I've been working on a new drainage system and tending to a recently flooded basement.

I drove the car yesterday and the A/C doesn't work - it only blows outside-air-temp air. The compressor is running and the lower of the two lines running to the heater box is ICE cold. Does that hint that the A/C is actually working fine? I spent about three hours searching this forum today and I read that there's some sort of vacuum-operated flapper valve inside the heater core box to vary between hot and cold? I also noticed some mouse sh*t in the engine compartment - maybe one of those little bastards ate through a vacuum line? I just looked around for as long as I could stand to in this 95 degree heat and didn't see anything. Any ideas? Am I at least on the right track?
Old 06-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Banned

I don't have time to find the pic if you need it, but it's in this forum a few weeks back.

Take the blower assembly out, it's above right about where a passengers right shin would be, there are two plastic fasteners by the glove box hinge that holds the plastic sheild in place that you drop out to get to all this.
There are 5 or so screws with a 7mm hex that hold the blower in. Take it out. You can run the control panel (you have to have the engine running for vacuum)and look into the hole where the blower was and see the outside air door operating as you turn the *****.
This would be the most likely area mice could get into also. Reach in there to see if there are leaves and stuff clogging it up.
And mice houses to I guess.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

I did find this pic, is this the one you meant?
http://shbox.com/1/hvac_vacuum.gif

I'm thinking that the problem is the temp valve (6 in the pic above), not the outside air door. Is this one vacuum or cable operated? The temp **** does feel smooth and turns all the way lock-to-lock. I get heat when I turn to hot, but no cold when I turn to cold. I also have full control over where the air comes out, although every once in a while under throttle it will freak out and go to floor/defrost for a few seconds and then revert back to where its set. I'm thinking the temp door isn't working properly even though the **** feels smooth...