General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Another key stuck in ignition story...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 02:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another key stuck in ignition story...

I was heading over to my friends place tonight and when I got there, I put the car in park (yes park, not neutral)and tried taking my keys out. The car turned off but the key is about a 1/3" away from the lines meeting up to remove the key. Playing with the key for a couple seconds, it wouldnt budge. I started the car, put it in drive and put it back in park. The same thing happened.

I was able to slide the shifter from park to 1st without engaging the shifter. It was free moving like a manual shifter. A minute later, somehow I got it to actually be in park, the wheel locked, and I was able to remove the keys.

On my way home, I knew the same thing was going to happen...and it did. Somehow and someway I was able to remove the keys.

I did a quick search and was not able to find anything in my situation. It seems that the car will not shift into park for some reason. I find it odd that I was able to freely slide the shift handle and the car not wanting to park, even after putting it in park. I put the shifter all the way down and checked each gear from 1,2,3,D,N and R shows the reverse lights. When I shift into P, the lights go away.

Any ideas on what to look at?
Old 06-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed the actual shift handle from the shifter and I noticed the white "actuator" wasnt as high as it should be. I lifted it with my hand and the slide the shifter into park and locked into park. Im still not sure how to fix this permanently.