General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Groaning sound on turns, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Groaning sound on turns, please help!

Hey everyone,

I've got a 98 Z28, A4 w/ 3.23 rear gear. The car is bone stock. Anyways, I have a problem with a groaning noise that seemingly shows up only on slower right and left hand turns. The noise also gets worse if the turn is tighter (like driving in a parking garage). It sounds rotational but it does not seem to happen all the time. It seemingly gets more frequent after the car has been driven for a while. The other day it was even accompanied by a loss of traction control. The car drives fine in a straight line and on light turns. On another note that may or may not be related, there sounds like driveline clunk when I put the car in gear, and when the trans downshifts from OD to 1st on a quick stop. If anyone has any insight into this problem, I would really appreciate it. My Z is a blast to drive except for this annoying problem that I need to get figured out. Btw: the car has 101K miles on it. Thanks a lot!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

check you power steering fluid, or it's your rear end or both
Old 06-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Banned

Time to change the rear gear oil, here from a post recently.
Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Auburn diffs have cones on the side gears instead of clutches. Cones are metal to metal contact. There are powdered metal inserts in the carrier that the cones sit in. Synthetic lubes it too good I guess.
You should just read it on their website.

I know this because my first Auburn made a noise. I had regular gear oil in it with 16 ounces of cheap limited slip additive out of a tube.
I called their tech line and they said thats the most common problem they have--people using the cheap ****.
I did what they said I used GM gear oil and 4 oz GM or Ford additive (ironically GM was out so I used GM oil and ford additive). Only 4 ounces of friction modifier additive, GM gear oil and in a few miles it never made a noise again.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Great success! Thanks 9000th01ss!