General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Powersteering whine and notchy turns

Old 06-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powersteering whine and notchy turns

My powersteering was whining like a **** and had a hard time turning. When turning it would turn smooth then feel as if it was getting caught up on something. I replaced the pump with a new one and found that the whining has gone away. But when I turn it, it still feels like its having trouble turning and makes the pump whine when turning sharp. It also feels like its having trouble turning. This is on my 02 SS Camaro. Do you think it could be the high pressure line? Any of the o-rings bad? Bad Rack? How do I check if the rack is bad? Is there certain ways to testing any of these?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok now u have air in the power steering rack, lift the car up till the front wheels come off the floor, start the car and open the power steering cap, slowly start turning side to side for about 5 mins, but do not turn it all the way till it makes that nasty noise that will be bad! just turn until it cant go any more dont force it! and after that the problem should be cured
Old 06-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool man. thanks! I'm going to try that out. Now is it possible for the air to stay there even thought i prolly drove the car about 75 miles?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

naw the air is still in there becasue there is pressure on the rack and everything when the car is on the floor, that is why we lift it up in the air so the power steering system can circulate freely.! its a self purging system

Search this Thread