General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SS 8 years old should I flush the Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS 8 years old should I flush the Radiator?

I am the third owner so I have no idea if it has ever been flushed but it still has the orange dex cool in it. I suppose you all are going to say yes flush it but I always read threads on here where people flush it out and their car runs hot from getting air in the system. Also should I get this?

Prestone Radiator cleaning kit.
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u278234
Old 06-17-2008, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

If you flush it correctly you won't get any air in the system.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cobalt9123
If you flush it correctly you won't get any air in the system.
Is there a good guide with pictures for the LS1 on how to do this?

I searched the forums and didn't really find a complete guide with pictures.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VetteMan

umm I'm not sure about an LS1 but I'm sure there are guides for other cars that are pretty much the same, radiators don't differ too much. I've only ever flushed a Dakota, Grand am GT, and old mazda/honda's radiators. Can't speak for the LS1 though.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Son-of-a-bitch...I wrote all this stuff for you and my damn computer froze up right before I hit "post". So here goes again.

Its just about the easiest thing you can do for preventative maintenance.

This is how I've been doing it to my LSx for 10+ years. There's a bunch of different ways to do it, I like this one. My 427ci stroker stays cool as a cucumber like this. There's also kits you can buy that flush the system but I've never tried one.

Things to buy BEFORE you start:
1) New petcock valve, sometimes they break off. They're like $3.00.
2) Bottle of radiator cleaner (not flush, get the cleaner) This is optional unless you can see a build-up of grime throuigh the radiator cap into the radiator.
3) One bottle of "water wetter".
4) 3 gallons of distilled water from the food store.
5) One jug of Dexcool.

When the engine is cold, take the radiator cap off and open the drain plug (petcock valve) on the bottom of the radiator. Let the radiator drain completely.

Close the drain plug and fill the radiator with hose water.

Start the engine and stand there until the coolant starts to flow after the t-stat opens. You might want to bounce back and forth looking at your temp gauge just to make sure its not overheating.

As soon as the coolant starts to flow and the coolant looks all dark again, shut the engine off and drain the radiator again. Fill it again with hose water, close the drain plug and start the engine back up until it flows again, then drain the dark coolant again. Repeat this until the coolant is all clear and flowing. Usually takes me about 5 times and about 15 minutes. ***If you let it flow for just 2 minutes more after it starts to flow each time, that's pretty good as the new clean water and the dark older coolant will have traded places from the radiator to the engine.*** ***On the last time you do it, after the water starts to flow again, open the drain plug with the engine "still running" and let the radiator drain and also let it run for a minute more or so after the radiator looks empty....this will get most of the water out of the engine, but not all of it.***

Close the drain plug and fill the radiator back up with half a jug of Dexcool, the bottle of water wetter and the rest with the distilled water. Then start the engine back up and again wait till you see the coolant start to flow and the level in the radiator will drop down. Keep filling it up with the distilled water until the level doesn't drop anymore. Do this until the coolant flows and then stops, then flows again when the t-stat is opening and closing. You will know there are no air bubbles when the t-stat opens and closes and the coolant flows but the level does not drop down.

Thats it.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Launching!

good advice thank i gonna do mine now so if i **** up ill be pissed at you naw j/p
Old 06-17-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

mmhmm the distilled water part people usually over look
Old 06-17-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002Z28Camaro
good advice thank i gonna do mine now so if i **** up ill be pissed at you naw j/p
The only thing you can do to get screwed is to NOT bounce back and forth checking your temp gauge while you're waiting for the t-stat to open. In the million-to-one event that the t-stat does not open you're gonna be standing there while your waiting for it to open and the car is gonna overheat right in front of you.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I picked up the prestone kit only to find out I have to cut the heater hose.

What is water wetter?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Water Wetter is a chemical additive that improves the cooling properties of the coolant.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I picked up the prestone kit only to find out I have to cut the heater hose.

What is water wetter?
Water wtter does alot of things, but mainly the way it keeps the water/coolant temps lower is by keeping air bubbles from forming around the hotter surfaces (hot spots) inside the coolant passages mainly in the heads and around the cylinders where the heat is high. The bubbles attach to the metal surfaces and steals that surface area from the heat to transfer to the coolant. If those bubbles are kept to a minimum or eliminated, the heat transfer area of the hot metal surfaces to the coolant is greater, so you have better cooling of the coolant.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Thats like asking should I change the oil ever on my car? Tech the old school method is the coolant system every 2 years or 24k miles.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sslateron
Thats like asking should I change the oil ever on my car? Tech the old school method is the coolant system every 2 years or 24k miles.
coolant in a sealed system, stock engine, can easily go 100,000 miles. But I do flush mine every 2 years, but thats because I remove my radiator to clean my condensor every 2 years.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went with needadvice method because I did not want to cut the heater hose. I poured cleaning fluid in then filled everything up. Let reach running temp then turned on defrost and let run for ten min. Going to drain it soon...

Only thing is which hose do I pull of when filling with dex to make sure I don't get air in the system?
Old 06-17-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the rad and have it cleaned at a shop. Or get a new one.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Remove the rad and have it cleaned at a shop. Or get a new one.
Wait what?
Old 06-17-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

My maintenance light came on and started flashing while running the heater...
Old 06-17-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went with needadvice method because I did not want to cut the heater hose. I poured cleaning fluid in then filled everything up. Let reach running temp then turned on defrost and let run for ten min. Going to drain it soon...

Only thing is which hose do I pull of when filling with dex to make sure I don't get air in the system?
Just fill through the radiator cap. When its topped off start the engine and wait for the t-stat to open and you will see the level go down, just keep topping it off until the t-stat opens and the level does not drop. If you do that there will be NO air in the system.

And NO, you do not need to have a radiator shop clean your radiator and you do not need a new one. The only way I would say to have it cleaned professionally is if you can put your finger in through the radiator cap and dark nasty grime won't rub off the internal metal ribs.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My maintenance light came on and started flashing while running the heater...
don't worry about it. Just finish the job and go for a 20 minute ride.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am on my 4th flush and it still is not clear.