General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C compressor wont kick on

Old 06-22-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor wont kick on

I dont know if this belongs in this section but a couple of days ago i replaced my ac compressor because it went out. So i replaced that, the canister, and a aluminum rectangle box that the two lines go into by the firewall. It worked great for a couple of days then the compressor wont kick on and it blows hot air. The harness is plugged in and i checked all the fuses/relays. Anyone know what else i should look for? and it does have the ac coolent stuff in it. thanks
Old 06-22-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you put oil in it?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Low pressure. Just because you filled it up with the stuff from the auto parts place and brought the pressure up to the green zone on the guage, doesn't mean that it was properly serviced.

As you probably already know, when the system pressure falls below a certain point, the compressor will not engage.

You need to draw the system down to a vacuum (or as close as the pump will get it), then reservice it. May take a few hours.
When ever you break open the sealed system, air and moisture will inadvertantly get in. That needs to be removed.

Try using the stuff with the leak detecting additive. The good stuff will come in a kit with some yellow looking goggles and a small pen light. Black light if i remember correctly.

DON'T over service!!! The guage that comes with some of the service cans are a generic, and not vehicle specific. Over pressurizing could lead to a dead compressor. $$$
Been there, done that.

I've never had to service any of my f bodies yet so you'll have to find the specific pressure.

If it stops blowing cold again after a few days, use your light and goggles and look for leaks.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread