General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Belt Snapped - Is this the Source of My Problems??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Belt Snapped - Is this the Source of My Problems??

Alright, well I'm new to these forums and am here in the hopes of finding a cure to my problems without spending an arm and a leg at the local dealership.

My 2000 Z28 has been sitting in the driveway for nearly a year although I have driven it around at least once every other month or so (yes, i know i know). Well recently when I cranked it I noticed a belt that had snapped was laying underneath the engine bay - after some inspection I realized it was the A/C Belt (see picture below - I'm not 100% sure I'm correct in this assumption).

Well it had been a while since I cranked the car last before this occurred, so I wasn't totally surprised that a belt snapped - however just in order to get the car to crank to begin I had needed to jump the battery off. I figured this was simply because the cars alarm system had drained the battery over time... but then once the car was cranked it would idle very finicky and then finally die - it would only stay cranked if I gave it power. Now I know I need to replace the A/C belt, but is that the cause of my problems? Or does it sound like the alternator and/or battery are bad? I would think that the A/C belt snapping would only affect just that... the air conditioning and nothing else.

Help! Thanks in advance guys.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No it wouldn't affect starting. If your a/c belt snaps, you just don't have a/c.

If it's been sitting a long time, you may be looking at an alternator/battery issue.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, that's the AC belt - need to take the other one off to replace it. Idle being grumpy at low voltage/bad battery is normal and not the belt. If you have a digital volt meter read the battery voltage when off, and then while running. My guess is the battery just got so low it caused the PCM to relearn the idle after you jumped it off.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:12 PM

What would I do to fix that issue NBM?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

Charge the battery, crank it up, and let it run/relearn.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Belt replacement is easy, both are on a tensioner. Charge the battery and/or have it load tested at a parts store. If you're getting about 14V with the car running after startup alternator should be fine, probably the battery. PCM will relearn idle quickly with good voltage - just replaced my alternator last week, don't want to go there until you make sure it's not the battery. Think your issue is battery since it's been sitting so long.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since the car has been sitting long, do the regular maintanance, spark plugs, clean MAF, and throttle body clean air filter. yea u can let the pcm relearn the engine too.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:41 PM

Thanks guys - I'll run to the store tomorrow and have the battery tested and let you guys know. I hope it's not the alternator - I've heard they cost a small fortune to get installed... that true?