General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Exhaust smells bad, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust smells bad, need help!

I have a 94 Trans Am GT that just had a new walpro fuel pump from nasty performance put in it about 1 month ago. Before that, the fuel pump was going out and my fuel pressure was low and the car had no horsepower. So I have this guy who works on my car because he knows a good amount about gm cars and he only charges like 40 bucks an hour and is reliable. He put in the fuel pump and the car started right up on the first crank. So I thought everything was fine. The horsepower still wasn't what I thought it would be but I didn't pay much attention to it. The next day I took a long trip that took about 4 and a half hours. I got to my destination and then turned the car off. I got up the next morning and it wouldn't turn over until like the 3rd try. Once it turned over, it would often sputter a little and the exhaust smelled really bad like gas. It was getting into the car and now the car smells like gas. Anyways, the problem went on for a while and it got to the point where I would turn the key and have to pump the gas pedal to get it to start. And eventually it got to the point where it would just click when i turned the key, it wouldn't even turn over. So i bought new spark plugs and haven't had the chance/time to put them in. They are NGKs, but none of my old ones are arching or anything. I had one arching a while back but needed a secure spark plug wire, it had fell off lol. So like a week ago I go to start the car and it starts right up. I checked my fluid levels and my coolant is fine, a little (slightly) low on oil, and all other fluid levels are good. I may need to add some oil, but don't know how that would correlate. So now the car starts almost every time on the first crank but the exhaust still smells and i have like barely any horsepower at speeds higher than 30mph. off the line it seems really strong. but im just so confused with why im losing power and why it smells so bad. my exhaust tips are getting black often too. before i pay a **** ton to have some shop check it out, i want to see what i can do with advice on the forums. PS. i had a tranny go out on this car, so i had to put a used one in but the car shifts great. is this possibly a tunning issue? let me know if anyone can help. thanks.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

run TURBO BLUE
Old 06-28-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like it's much too rich. Probably just needs a tune.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

well today i found some coolant on the top of my battery and below the coolant housing...damn!!! do you think coolant could be getting on the opti? i need to get the new plugs in too. i just had the car tuned when i bought it 8 months ago.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by qwickLT1WS6
run TURBO BLUE
what is turbo blue and what does it do?
Old 06-30-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

? what is turbo blue?