General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window regulator maybe??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window regulator maybe??

My driver side window on my 95 Z28 goes clunk, clunk, clunk the whole way up AND down... wtf? Motor or regulator?
Old 06-29-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could you be a little more descriptive? How does the window behave when it "clunks"? Does it seal up good? Have you changed anything in there lately? Is your rain seal missing?

If i had to make a guess right now, i would say your missing one of the brush assemblies along the top of your window, they break all the time. One way to tell is if your windows are tinted, the tint will be ripped.
Another thing could just be the track needs a good lube, but i'm leaning more toward alignment right now.

Give us some more info and we'll take it from there!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/742699-window-alignment-write-up.html
Old 06-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its like when it clunks, the window stops for a split second. If I had to diagnose it, id say the big gear on the window reg is stripped or the gear on the motor is... All the brushes are there... The person who had the Z before me got broken in to and they bashed that widow out. He had it replaced and they did a **** job I think... The whole assembly slips and binds when you roll it up. Its actually quite embarrasing. lol
Old 06-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This can happen if the regulator comes loose from the door.

Check to make sure your regulator is firmly attached to your door and the motor is firmly attached to the regulator. The gear is very stout and having it stripped is very unlikely. If the motor or reg is loose, you'll get a lot of clunking as the entire mechanism moves/vibrates in the door. If that's the case, its very important to fix it before the vibration strips out the holes in the composite door.