General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

grinding noise. lets figure it out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding noise. lets figure it out.

well... my car has been making a grinding noise for some time now. i just replaced the fluid in the differential and that didn't help. give me some other guesses as to what it might be. the noise is constant and gets louder with speed. it seems to be coming from the rear passenger side. some thoughts that i have are wheel bearings, bearings in the rear end, or transmission. When i changed the fluid they gears were examined by a local man who knows everything there is to know about cars. His advice was just get a new rear end from a junk yard. what do you guys think?
Old 06-29-2008, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know, but you might wanna edit the title if you can. Everyone's (myself included) going to think its a headlight gear, so their gonna ignore it. If you know what I mean, lol.
Try searching I feel like i've seen this before.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Mines doing the same thing. I thought it was an axle bearing on the passenger side. Changed the bearing, forgot to check the axle. noise went away for about a week, not totally, but almost and now its as loud as ever. I keep thinking the axle is trash but dont want to tear it apart again to look. Hopefully someone here can help out us out. Ive kept an eye out for a whole new rear end, but nothing yet.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

Mine would do the same thing before my 373 gears broke.