General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Driver side brake lights out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driver side brake lights out.

The drivers side brake lights are out. When the parking lights come on the brakes light up, but they go out when you step on the brakes. I tried changing the bulbs but thats not the problem. Also, the right turn signal works fine, but the left turn signal does not blink. The left arrow just lights up steady, and I can see the front parking lamp come on, but it does not blink. Hmm, what should I check next?
Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few things you can check:

1. When you put the new bulb in, did you make sure that it was in the correct way? This may seem like a dumb question, but you can in fact put the bulb in 180 degrees the wrong way. What happens in that scenario is that the filament that is for the running lights is now on the circuit for your brake lights and vice versa.

2. The flasher is in the dash on the center console. If you get in on the driver's side and follow the edge of the center console up under the dash, you'll find a round looking relay. This is the flasher. Try replacing that.

3. Take a test light or multimeter and stick it in the socket and turn the signal on to see if you're actually getting voltage.