General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Son-of-a.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Son-of-a.....

I can honestly say I haven't taken the time to look at it yet, cuz work has me WORN OUT. But here's the issue. The TA is starting to overheat. I was a little low on coolant, not even below the full cold line, but I topped it off. And I'm trying to think of a good starting point to get this fixed. I was thinking thermostat. Well, hoping for the fact that it's decently cheap and easy to replace. Here's exactly what it's doing though. I start it, idle for a little bit to get the oil pumped through. After driving for a couple minutes, the gauge starts creeping. I'll idle down hills and it will go down just a little bit, sometimes all the way back down to running temp, but then it'll go back up. It got up to about 250 once and I shut it off and let the fans cool it down. Then I started it again, it was at running temp, I drove for a bit ,and it started going back up again.

Any ideas? There are no leaks, and it just started happening 3 days ago. I'm driving the wifes car till I fix this damn thing. But I gotta get it fixed quick.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey you done a coolant flush yet do you still have dex crap in there because it might have already started doing it's dirty work. I lovvvves to eat away metal after 100,000 miles Things could very well be plugged do a flush try a new t-stat might work.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

I'll give it a try. It's only got 70,000 miles though.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also might be trapped air inside the system.bleed sys.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I remember correctly don't 00's have dummy gauges? Meaning the gauge only reads when its at operating temperature, or overheating. No inbetween?
Old 07-12-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is the exact same thing my car is doing, exact. my car got to the point that it the temp was all the way up for a few minutes and the car was shaking voilently...
Old 07-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, so I ran it sitting with the heater on and radiator cap off to try and bleed any air pockets out. It didn't overheat like this, but got to operating temp and the fans kicked on, then just stayed at op temp. As it was running I squeezed the upper radiator hose to find hardly any pressure inside of it. So I'm thinking it's either plugged up really bad and needs to be flushed, or my water pump is fucked.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by question
If I remember correctly don't 00's have dummy gauges? Meaning the gauge only reads when its at operating temperature, or overheating. No inbetween?
I never heard of that, but then again I never looked into it. Mine reads the whole time, from 100 all the way up.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine ended up being a blown head gasket