General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lef turn signal not working properly, kinda weird.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lef turn signal not working properly, kinda weird.

Changed the bulbs, didn't fix the problem.
The driver's side turn signal and parking light were very dim, while the passenger side looked just fine. All of the back bulbs are good. With the ignition on but the engine off, the left blinker would work, although kinda slowly and dim. But then with the engine running, it would just stay lit. I did this several times. Engine off = blink. Engine running = no blink. Even with the blinker not engaged the indicator for the left turn signal in the instrument panel would stay lit, although very dim.
Then I put brand new bulbs in. The only thing that changed was now the left signal won't blink at all, even with the engine off. It just stays lit, and still dim. The bulb has 2 filiments but only one is lit, both with the old bulb and the new. Again, the passenger side is working properly. The connections are not corroded at all, but I greased them anyway.
At the same time as this started (yesterday), my "ABS INOP" light came on and is still on. Could they somehow be related, or is that just a coincidence?
Old 07-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it's solid lit it means it thinks there is a bulb burned out. It's separate on the right and left side. So some bulb on drivers side might be burned out. Check them all, front, side markers, and rear.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did, no burned out bulbs anywhere. At one point or another all the bulbs work, just not all the time like they should. Inconsistent.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the bulbs on that side is either burnt or not pushed in all the way. I had that problem a few times with my car. Check the tailight bulbs and make sure the front corner bulbs are seated all the way down.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I pulled the back bulbs and they look good and tight, no issues with them at all. I replaced the front bulbs and the connections look good and tight there too.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

MORE INFO:
The headlights, turn signal and side marker on the front of the driver's side are all very dim and the turn signal won't blink when the headlights are on. If the headlights are off then the blinker works fine. Again, everything is ok on the front passenger side and both sides on the back. So it looks like an issue with power delivery in that one area.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It sounds like you have a short some where. When you put the turn signal right, the good power from the right side goes through the thermal flasher and every thing is fine and when turn the switch left, the dirty power from the left side doesn't have enough juice to get the flasher to blink.

So, the dimness and blinker are probably just symptoms of a larger problems and probably related to the ABS issue. Its possible that an unholy union has been consummated between those two systems in your car somehow.

Suggest you also post to the Stereo and Electronics forum to get additional eyes on your issue. I don't know of anything off hand that could cause a cross between the two.

Have you added any accessories lately? Encountered any natural disasters? (Heavy rains, floods, etc?)

If your ABS INOP light is on, you may have some codes stored in the car that might tip you of to a general location of the problem.