General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Condensation on windshield after turning AC off

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Condensation on windshield after turning AC off

My AC works fine but when I turn it off, the dash vents will release water vapor that condenses on the inside of the windshield. It keeps doing that until all the moisture trapped inside the evaporator box has dissipated. Its even worse if I come back to the car a little while later and try to drive it with the AC off. It completely fogs over the entire windshield. Then I have to turn the AC on to dry it up but it will still keep releasing small amounts of vapor. Turning on the heater to dry up the vapor causes massive condensation too. There is no smell or sign of antifreeze though, and the condensation occurs only after i have been using the AC.

I thought the evaporator drain tube might have been clogged but it's clean as a whistle. The only other thing I can think of is that there is some microbial buildup on the evaporator that is causing it to retain moisture. It does smell like *** when I turn the AC on at first.

Any ideas on how to take apart the box that houses the evaporator to inspect it? I am also wondering if the dash top vents should be blowing any air at all when all HVAC controls are turned off I can feel air coming out of the vents as the car goes down the road.