General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Intake Manifold, EGR, and Cam Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Manifold, EGR, and Cam Position Sensor

I'm trying to replace the cam position sensor in my 2002 Formula (LS1 but not WS6). I'm sick of losing my tach every humid summer day. I was following the manifold removal procedure on ls1howto.com. Unfortunately I'm stumped by the EGR valve- can't quite figure out how to get it out of the way. EGR valve is located on the driver's side, rear of the engine. I can't get to the last cylinder's injector wire without removing the EGR. Anyone offer some advice or instruction on how to remove the EGR valve assembly? How is it connected to the block/head?

Also looking for advice on the fuel line. Specifically do I need to disconnect the fuel line from the rail, or will the fuel line slide forward with the manifold once the manifold is unbolted?

What's the best way to remove the last 2 little 8mm manifold bolts that are hidden under the cowl? Is there such a thing as a long handled 1/4 drive ratchet? Space is so tight!

Also, would I be better off performance wise to remove the EGR system all- together? Can this be done and retain the stock intake manifold?

Thanks in Advance!
Old 07-16-2008, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2002 cars do not have EGR

You can disconnect the fuel rail from the intake by taking out the 4 bolts holding it down. The you can lay it over on the driver side.

Best way to get the last two bolts is with a shallow 8mm and a 1/4 drive ratchet.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you have one of those ratchet box wrenches like sears sells they work great too. You won't be able to pull the back intake bolts out all the way because of the cowl, just loosen them and use tape or something to hold them high enough to remove the intake if you don't have a helper. Be careful you don't break the oil pressure sensor too...happens all the time.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Teching In

thanks- I guess what I assumed was an EGR is really an Air pump. How do I take this thing off so that I get access to that back injector wire?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Also, where's the oil pressure sensor located? What's it look like?
Old 07-16-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah part of the air system, has to be a bolt/bracket holding it on. The oil pressure sensor is the black vertical sensor right behind the intake on the drivers side. There's a partial pic of it on the site you're using: http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii...//IMAGE015.jpg