General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear tires making noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear tires making noise

Just replaced my stock firehawk tires, and I still have this tire sound coming from the rear which seems to be mostly the rear driver side. I had the sound with the old tires and now still with the new ones. Rear is fine, still stock. Even had the front end checked, and it's fine. Drive shaft felt fine, nothing seemed wrong underneath. There is no metal sound, just sounds like when you are beside a big truck you can hear his tires as they are rolling fast, like humming. That's what I hear. When I'm above 45 mph it gets very noticeable. I have searched and read some things but anyone have this happened? I even rotated my front with the back to see if it was just the one tire. Noise still there.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wheel/axle bearing
Old 07-21-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Must just be my tires, thanks
Old 07-21-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
wheel/axle bearing
How hard is that to replace? I think that's what's messed up on my car.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx
How hard is that to replace? I think that's what's messed up on my car.
What sounds are you having?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:29 AM
TECH Resident

Some tires just create a lot of road noise. Does it sound the same on all types of roads; blacktop and cement? Could just be the tires, but it also could be your rear end gears whining, posi unit going out, or bad bearings.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

When I bought my WS6 I could hear lots of road noise when I test drove it. The dealer said it was normal, however, they finally agreed to check the rearend....it was a bad carrier bearing.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
What sounds are you having?
I have a whine, and waah waah waah kind of sound. People tell me the waa sound is the wheel bearing.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sunset01SS
Some tires just create a lot of road noise. Does it sound the same on all types of roads; blacktop and cement? Could just be the tires, but it also could be your rear end gears whining, posi unit going out, or bad bearings.
Yes all roads all the same. Even going slow over the exhaust I can hear it. When I'm going to work going 55, sounds just like those damn tires when you get beside a big rig on the interstate. It's the loudest when speed is above 55. My stock firehawk tires did the same thing, but I didn't notice till about 20,000 miles. Now have 37,000. Never heard the sound over the damn music So once I heard the sound, just thought the tires were doing it cause of the mileage. Have not tried on cement yet. Don't know of any place except somewhere on interstate, not 95.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx
I have a whine, and waah waah waah kind of sound. People tell me the waa sound is the wheel bearing.
Just wondering cause I have no metal sound, or clicking. I Even checked to make sure the tires were put on correctly. But now wondering about the balance. But then again my stock tires did the same damn thing.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
When I bought my WS6 I could hear lots of road noise when I test drove it. The dealer said it was normal, however, they finally agreed to check the rearend....it was a bad carrier bearing.
Because I played music loud when I first got the car, I'm hoping I missed hearing the stock tires making this noise. But I hope it's the tires, but something tells me that something might be going out. My other 02 transam never made this sound.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

mine makes some noise its kinda sounds like your describin. its kinda like a howling sound right. i'm pretty sure mine is the axle bearings. i hope you can track it down soon and its not much of problem, as you have a pretty nice firehawk there.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
Yes all roads all the same. Even going slow over the exhaust I can hear it. When I'm going to work going 55, sounds just like those damn tires when you get beside a big rig on the interstate. It's the loudest when speed is above 55. My stock firehawk tires did the same thing, but I didn't notice till about 20,000 miles. Now have 37,000. Never heard the sound over the damn music So once I heard the sound, just thought the tires were doing it cause of the mileage. Have not tried on cement yet. Don't know of any place except somewhere on interstate, not 95.
If it was your tires it would not sound the same on different types of pavement. Can you tell if the sound is coming from the back of the car, or all around the car? I think it's your rear end gears whining. Mine are the loudest around 55 mph as you mentioned. Does the noise change any if you are accelerating vs. coasting or just maintaining speed?
Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Teching In

I have the same noise and I replaced my axle bearings a few months ago and the noise is still there. Can a front hub bearing make that noise? The noise seems to be coming from the passenger side only, but I could be wrong. It's louder on some road surfaces.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bowtieboy10
mine makes some noise its kinda sounds like your describin. its kinda like a howling sound right. i'm pretty sure mine is the axle bearings. i hope you can track it down soon and its not much of problem, as you have a pretty nice firehawk there.
Thank you,Yes that's a good description of the sound. I'm thinking something in the diff gears. I was so sure of it being the tires
Old 07-22-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sunset01SS
If it was your tires it would not sound the same on different types of pavement. Can you tell if the sound is coming from the back of the car, or all around the car? I think it's your rear end gears whining. Mine are the loudest around 55 mph as you mentioned. Does the noise change any if you are accelerating vs. coasting or just maintaining speed?
Damn, you are correct. I really need to find a dirt road and or a concrete road.The sound is in the back, no question. Sounds like almost center. My right ear picks up the sound quick and easy coming from the rear. Maintaining the speed it's a constant sound that is fairly loud at 55 mph. Going from a red light and driving normal, it takes a few seconds to start to hear it, but over say 35 it's starting. Under 35 is very low keyed, not loud. Man I was so sure it was just the tires. Maybe something has been going on for some time in the rear. I just put a new diff cover on, not to long ago, so checking the fluid level is simple.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

I have that same howling, I don't know what it is. It comes in noticeably at 35 mph gets loudest by 60 mph and then starts to fade by 80.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

typical problem on 10 bolts, get a axle saver bearing from any parts place, what happens is the bearing starts to seaze and wears away part of the axle, the axle saver bearing relocates where the bearing rides on the axle further in. Its about 30 bucks plus shoving more fluid in. Real simple tho, just remove the wheel and brake setup on the pass side, pull the cover, pull pin/ clip then pull the axle. Hope this helps l8r
Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess this weekend I'll get it jacked up and see what I can find out. Thanks to all that posted. I'll keep watching incase someone responds to this.
Hey xXSilencerXx, when you said it fades out above 80, you speaking of the sound leaving? My sound stays with me I'm going to pull my rear wheels off and see if anything looks dryed up.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
typical problem on 10 bolts, get a axle saver bearing from any parts place, what happens is the bearing starts to seaze and wears away part of the axle, the axle saver bearing relocates where the bearing rides on the axle further in. Its about 30 bucks plus shoving more fluid in. Real simple tho, just remove the wheel and brake setup on the pass side, pull the cover, pull pin/ clip then pull the axle. Hope this helps l8r
damn ive got some work to do i think i have the same issue

Quick Reply: Rear tires making noise