General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PCV question

Old 07-20-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCV question

i posted this in the external engine forum also but havent got any help... i was changing out my plugs and wires today and noticed on the driver side of the engine at the rear of the valve cover there is a breather like plug in the valve cover with a hose connected to it that runs around the backside of the intake manifold... well this hose must have gotten brittle from age and rotted in half... im pretty new to these motors and i know they have been known for oil consumption through the pcv system... my question is, should i just leave this hose as is or replace it?... will there be any negative effects if i leave it disconnected?... the only thing i have noticed is that when slowly free revved it shudders just a little bit from about 2k or so and up... im unsure if this hose is the problem or if its just the engine torquing... when driving its not really noticeable... other than that i havent noticed any driveability issues but i just want to make sure... thanks for any help
Old 07-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by neutron82
i posted this in the external engine forum also but havent got any help... i was changing out my plugs and wires today and noticed on the driver side of the engine at the rear of the valve cover there is a breather like plug in the valve cover with a hose connected to it that runs around the backside of the intake manifold... well this hose must have gotten brittle from age and rotted in half... im pretty new to these motors and i know they have been known for oil consumption through the pcv system... my question is, should i just leave this hose as is or replace it?... will there be any negative effects if i leave it disconnected?... the only thing i have noticed is that when slowly free revved it shudders just a little bit from about 2k or so and up... im unsure if this hose is the problem or if its just the engine torquing... when driving its not really noticeable... other than that i havent noticed any driveability issues but i just want to make sure... thanks for any help

No help AT ALL? Jesus ******* Christ. I even posted a picture, and people wonder why I get pissed off here. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/957126-pcv-question.html

Look, did the ******* car come out of the factory with the hose all rotted out and broken? NO. If the ***** broken order up some parts and fix it. Thats the obvious answer.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

ok before you get all jerkoff for no reason i was just asking if it would be ok to have it that way with no ill effects because the pcv systems suck to begin with... and yes i know it didnt come from the factory all rotted but nor did your throttle body come ported and the bumpstop ground down or the bottom of you airbox cut out, but you did it anyway right?... maybe you get my point now... and i appreciate you posting the pic but all it did was point out a hose of which im already aware of and then tell me its not rotted through like i said it was but otherwise tell me its just the insulation thats torn... so no, i still have not gotten any help
Old 07-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

I recently had an ses light come up on my car for bank 2 being lean and figured out I had a hole in my pcv hose. I did notice that my car idled rougher and heard a whistling sound coming from my engine. When I replaced it my idle is normal, I have better take off and my car does not stall and ping when I take off in first now. I think you should replace it as it can lead to other problems with oil and air problems.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Banned

Are there any ill effects toward replacing the broken hose? NO.
Like I said before that hose ends up at the intake behind the throttle body. I don't see how it can be so broke like you say and not run like **** because thats a huge vacuum leak, it's a 3/8" hose, you're going to notice something not right, and at idle.
Pull the other hose off (the rear passenger side valve cover) and plug it, start the car, if your drivers side hose is broken it's going to pull full manifold vacuum into the broken hose.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

This could also lead to leaking oil and your rear main seal going out, mine did. I had oil leaking after a rear main seal went out and after fixing this hose I don't loose any oil and have better air/gas mixture.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Are there any ill effects toward replacing the broken hose? NO.
Like I said before that hose ends up at the intake behind the throttle body. I don't see how it can be so broke like you say and not run like **** because thats a huge vacuum leak, it's a 3/8" hose, you're going to notice something not right, and at idle.
Pull the other hose off (the rear passenger side valve cover) and plug it, start the car, if your drivers side hose is broken it's going to pull full manifold vacuum into the broken hose.

see this is what i thought too... when i saw it i was like wtf?!!... i stuck the end of my finger in the hose to see if there was any vacuum but it didnt feel like there was anything there... maybe its blocked somewhere or could the pcv valve being stuck cause there to be no vacuum at that hose?... the idle seems fine but like i was saying just a little shudder at about 2k and up when just free revving it... im going to go ahead and replace that hose and the pcv valve when i get a chance
Old 07-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

good idea dude I found out the hard way this can cause some other issues.

Search this Thread