General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car's having trouble; O2s?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car's having trouble; O2s?

Alright, so I switched out my Oxygen sensors (I ran a 1/2 tank of 110 leaded, killed them both) with a pair of O.E. Bosch units, and now the car is having trouble. Wideband shows full lean, off the gauge, under full throttle it goes back to normal, and reads right where it should be, but as soon as you let off of it, it falls on it's face again.

So here's what I can deduce: Full throttle response tells me I'm not having a genuine fuel problem, i.e. pump and injectors are fine. Lean state tells me it's not a spark issue, but a lack of fuel, no SES light, which lean conditions would typically cause, so I'm thinking it's got to be a bad (or 2 bad) O2 sensors. The only thing I can think that I could have done wrong here is cross the plugs and hooked up the wrong sensors to the wrong plugs, could that cause this? How do I know which plug should go to which sensor? It seemed that one was longer than the other, so naturally I used that one to connect to the Driver's side, right?

Anything I'm missing here? Should my next step be the obvious one and go exchange out these plugs for a different pair?
Old 07-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Well, I switched out the O2s and now I'm having the same problems; Anybody have any ideas? Someone suggested that the leaded fuel may have effected the fuel filter, but that doesn't add up to me, because the WOT fuel response should be all messed up too then. Anyone?
Old 07-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Destroyed Cats?

From google: http://www.familycar.com/CLASSROOM/emission.htm

"
Also leaded fuel will put a coating on the platinum or palladium and render the converter ineffective. This is why, in the U.S.A., all fuels designed for automobile engines are now unleaded."

very bad... very expensive...
Old 07-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

BTW - I don't know how you would confirm a problem with the Cats, but I'm pretty sure the rear O2 sensors specifically monitor the performance of them. Your problem may go away by deleting those sensors. ... if you don't have any local emissions complications.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Launching!

I wish it were that simple, but I'm running an ORY with the rear O2s tuned out...