General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

C5 randomly stalls, will re-start only to stall again

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 randomly stalls, will re-start only to stall again

This is driving me nuts.

My heads/cam FRC will randomly stall out, for no apparent reason. It will always fire back up just fine, only to die again 1 to 4 seconds after startup. Sometimes it will stumble a bit and die, sometimes it will run normally for a few seconds and die, but usually it just dies quickly. It usually keeps this start/stall process up for several minutes, then decides to run normally again.

No codes are thrown, and there is no odd behavior when the car stalls; it just quits and everything else stays working. All relevant data I've logged in HP Tuners (timing advance, duty cycle, MAF flow, MAP readings, TPS, cylinder air, etc) appear normal. Resetting fuel trims and reflashing the ECU with different tunes does nothing.

When its not doing this crap, it runs fine.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm really not sure where to begin with this one...

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited by Grant B; 07-26-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem solved.

Its C5 (and I think C6) specific: Clean and tighten the G105 ground on the left side of the engine block, between the headers and oil filter. The fuel pump is run off of a seperate circuit during cranking, meaning the car will start when this ground is disconnected, but not continue to run (though you can keep the key in the "start" position to keep it running in a pinch).