General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C and vent selection problem. Need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C and vent selection problem. Need some help!

I just bought a 99 mystic green trans am and I've got all the bugs worked out accept for the A/C not coming on and the selection **** is stuck on defrost. If I turn the **** to "off" it will turn off, but if I move in any place besides "off" it blows out the defroster vents. I was told that the actuator is run off of vacuum. So my question is where is the vacuum tube and where are the common areas it brakes and so on. Also if the A/C system is real low on freon dose the compressor come on?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks, JR
Old 07-28-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

The vacuum line is a thin line on the passenger's side close to the AC unit under the hood. There is little plastic L shaped filter where it usually brakes.

You car does not take "freon", it is 134a. The compressor will not kick on if there is not enough in the system. The low pressure switch will be activated and the compressor will not kick on.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I got it tracked down. Looks like when the previous owner put the LS6 intake on he forgot to plug it back in. Took me about 10 sec find it and plug it back in . If it only took that long to fix every problem .
Got a shop with "free A/C check" to see whats going on with that, the car is looking better and better to me with every passing moment .

Thanks Again, JR