General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Window Motor Problems?? Look Here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Window Motor Problems?? Look Here!!!

ok, so as you can all guess i have had the same power window motor problems as everone else, i like the wiring kit idea, but never fully believed that that is the sole problem going on here, it just does not make sense in my little messed up head that all of a sudden wires don't work on all the cars, sounds like a mechanical problem to me. one of my first thoughts was the track, maybe it's an engineering problem, after so many cycles bushings wear, grease looses it's ability to ummmm grease lol, all that stuff, so anyway when i changed my motors about 2 months ago i greased the crap out of my tracks, well the problem was not solved 100% it was better however, so i figured ok those guys are right about the wire thing. anywayyy (i know i'm rambling, but it gets good) apperently what no one says about replacing your motors is to line up the post in the center of the teeth on the motor to your track, if you feel up in there, there is a small hole it is supposed to fit in, that and there are plenty of nuts and screws that come with the window motors double up your nuts lol, what i mean is for every screw, use 2 nuts to secure it, that's what brings me to this, my nuts backed out and my window got stuck down, this is how i came across this pin thing, if you look at your old motor the pin is tapered, and the new one isn't, i think that the difference in size could be causing an increased amount of friction on the motor causing them to constantly go out, i have not been able to test this yet as i came to this after my motor was on (bad weather, no garage) but this weekend i am going to take it back out, file it down ever so slowly and put it back in, i will post up anyway i have included pictures to show what i'm talking about and i will hopefully have a video of it working, again i don't want to cause any controversy against the wire mod you can buy, but hey mechanics helping mechanics, sometimes it's the crazy ideas that save us all the heartache.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

these pictures are of the old motor, the one from the factory, you can see how the "pin" i am talking about is tapered, also the last 2 pix show what i mean by doubling up on your nuts lol
Attached Thumbnails Power Window Motor Problems??  Look Here!!!-001.jpg   Power Window Motor Problems??  Look Here!!!-002.jpg   Power Window Motor Problems??  Look Here!!!-003.jpg   Power Window Motor Problems??  Look Here!!!-004.jpg   Power Window Motor Problems??  Look Here!!!-005.jpg  

Old 07-28-2008, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

i see people looking, but no replies, any opinions?? anything?? lol, and this weekend i will have my final results, i was just talking to one of my roomates, and showing him my findings, and we are going to file the diamater of the new motor down this weekend, just a little, fractions of an inch, but i think that will be the difference, basically if you understand how leverage works, you can picture this, the motor can raise the window simply because of the leverage the tracks provide, but if you put a direct load on the motor it's not intended to support ie; the oversize shaft it won't work 100% and add the extra load that could cause it to fail prematurely.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

ok, so i couldn't stand the wait, went out and took it out, found out that pin doesn't rotate, put my window motor back in, and it's straining again, i'm done for the night, but i still think that seat has alot to do with it, it didn't seem like it seated as good as last time, and the window didn't work as good, bah, i got class tomorrow, i'll try again this weekend, imma solve this window problem i'm tired of this crap