General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Air conditioning question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:58 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Air conditioning question...

So...

I cracked the condensor line doing the cam. Replaced it, installed a new dryer and immeadiately drove to Firestone for a vacuum/recharge.

Blew nice and cold, they said everything checked out in great shape (compressor was within new specs).

Two weeks later it is like 116* in Burbank and A/C is cool but not cold. I thought it was the heat. After the heat the A/C was still cool but not cold.

Compressor spins freely when off and when it is on it clicks on an spins like it is supposed to (clutch engaged, etc...)

Take it back to Firestone today and now they say the compressor is bad...

How is it bad if it doesn't leak, it spins, the clutch comes on, etc... And it was working within "new specs" (whatever that means) two weeks prior (and actually only drove it once or twice in those two weeks)???

Someone told me that once R134 gets really hot (like the 116* day) it breaks down and doesn't cool as well... Could this be the case?

Any advice?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's bologna, the refrigerant doesn't break down, have them use a UV dye to see if its leaking somewhere, sounds like its got a small leak. Also did you/they replace the orifice tube? Its like a little filter in the line for refrigerant. Also the condenser up front may be clogged with road debris and it may not be getting enough air flow through it.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

What is the temperature of the air coming out of the vents?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Launching!

According to the mfg. the air coming out of the vents with A/C on only has to be 20* colder than air temp for the AC to be working correctly. Just because the compressor spins freely and is not leaking dosent mean its working correctly the seals that seperate high and low sides inside the housing could be going bad and causing incorrect opperation. Ask them to hook it back up to the machine and YOU watch the gauges and let us know what they are reading, I can offer more advice once I know the pressures.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Veteran

^exactly you need to see what the gauges actually read and if its 116* outside it should only really be blowing about 80* inside the car its real hard to dissipate heat but go to auto zone or comparable and buy a little thermostat and stick it into ur vent and let us know what that reads as well as the ambient temp too.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Its possibile that they didnt vacuum it down long enough to boil out the moisture that was in the system. If they didnt the moisture that was in there maybe have now ruined the compressor. It doesnt take much. Does the compressor stay kicked in all the time or does it kick in and out?

But like what was said earlier, get some reading on the guages and we should be able to tell if the compressor is making a big enough pressure difference.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even if the compressor engages and turns freely.... it may not "compress" enough. You may want to check it for leaks, but if the clutch is engaging, I'll say it has enough R134a in the system or else it wouldn't kick in. Have them check it with the gauges, with time the rings inside the compressor might get worn out and it will not move the R134a quickly enough through the evaporator, so it will not get cold enough. Mine sits at idle at 50 degrees, thats with a lillte gauge on the ac vent, get one of those, it will run you about $10.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll have to get some gauges myself... Firestone, who just checked the system and filled the freon after the cam swap, less than a month ago said EVERYTHING was perfect...

Now, the A/C guy says I need a new compressor, under $400 installed, good price, but the service "technician" says I need to replace EVERYTHING, literally EVERY PART of the A/C system and he can do it for $1500.

I'm going to go down, get a print out of his suggestion and mail that along with my print out from less than a month ago saying it is all good to corporate...

Firestone corporate has been great to deal with in the past (another place stripped my oil pan plug and wanted to charge me for a new pan) so we'll see what they do with this.

In the meantime, it was cold blowing tonight (like normal working cold a/c). What do I need to do for you guys? Can I get gauges from AutoZone to check the low and high pressure sides while it cycles?

The compressor does function like it is supposed to (on with the switch, off when it is off)...
Old 07-30-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like I said, compressor might be cycling but not compressing enough...
Old 07-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Launching!

I'm not sure what a set of manifolds would run you but it may be more than you want to spend. See if firestone will hook it up and let you watch it, tell them you dont need them to do anything just let you take a look at the pressures.