General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! Stuck Speedometer!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Stuck Speedometer!

Like the title says, today morning, I changed my battery on my 1999 Z28, and when I started my car afterwards, I noticed that the needle on the speedometer is stuck allll the way to the right, way past the 150mph mark... and is just resting there. I tried driving the car around for a few minutes, knocking on the clear panel of the gauge cluster (always fixed a stuck fuel gauge lol), and disconnecting a reconnecting the battery without any success. I'm puzzled as to why the hell a simple battery change would cause something like this, everything else seems to be just fine and normal except for that darn speedometer.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe try accelerating to about 160 mph to see if it catches?

No, just kidding, don't do that. Or at least don't get caught.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Well... at the position that it's in, I'd have to be doing well over 200mph =P
Old 07-30-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the '99 cars will sometimes do the gauges sweep/trip odo reset with low battery voltage. You've already tried disconnecting the battery, I'd try resetting the PCM by pulling the fuses method and see what happens. Just an idea....
Old 07-30-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bamxbam
Well... at the position that it's in, I'd have to be doing well over 200mph =P
Mods? Spray?
Old 07-30-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Same thing happend to me bro dont sweat it, just unscrew the cluster and pull it out a little. Then tilt it so you can see it and use a long screw driver and push the needle back to the other side.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Ok... before I got home and had a chance to take the whole cluster out, the car basically fixed itself; I was on the highway doing probably 60-70, and then put it into 6th, and the needle sprang back into the appropriate speed. I find this very strange, but I'm not complaining either, I sure as hell got lucky.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tennz28
Same thing happend to me bro dont sweat it, just unscrew the cluster and pull it out a little. Then tilt it so you can see it and use a long screw driver and push the needle back to the other side.
Really? Did it happen to you as you changed the battery as well? Not that I need to right now, but just in case it happens again, how do you even take the cluster off completely? The top plastic panel connected with 2 screws was a pain and a half to take off because the steering wheel was in the way (even though I had it all the way down and held onto it with one hand), how would the actual gauge cluster come off? Is it possible for the clear panel to come off?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

this is strange. i disconnect my battery for a couple of months during the winter. when i hook it back up in the spring, the first time i start it up all of the gauges spike all the way to the right, then they fall all the way to the left, then take actual measurements. never had any needle stay to the right.

i guess my post offers zero help. sorry.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bamxbam
Really? Did it happen to you as you changed the battery as well? Not that I need to right now, but just in case it happens again, how do you even take the cluster off completely? The top plastic panel connected with 2 screws was a pain and a half to take off because the steering wheel was in the way (even though I had it all the way down and held onto it with one hand), how would the actual gauge cluster come off? Is it possible for the clear panel to come off?
http://armorysound.com/forumsadv/sho...45&postcount=1

That should show you pretty well. The clear cover on the front came off my TA with 4 tabs on the bottom and 2 on the top.

Quick Reply: Help! Stuck Speedometer!