General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

bad window motor or regulator, or both

Old 08-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad window motor or regulator, or both

For the past month every time i try to roll down or up my driver side window it will stop. There is 2 different spots that it will stop. Either 3 inches down or around 3 inches from being all the way down. It does stop every now and then at different spots but mostly around there. When it stops it will no longer roll up or down, and i have to wait 5-10 mins before i can try it again.

So is the problem the motor or regulator. I brought it into a shop and they said regulator, They didn't take it apart or anything, they decided by watching it. Thing is i read on past threads that it is usually the motor.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine does the same thing, except it stops wherever it wants to. If it is hot out and the car is hot it won't go nearly as far. Does it help if you push or pull on the window, helping it go the direction that it is trying? It helps mine and I am going to replace the motor in an hour or two so I'll let you know after I'm done.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its funny. I've always heard about the Fbody window motor problems. My 94 with over 200,000 miles, never had that issue, but my newer 2002 has it. Did GM switch to cheaper motors?

It sounds like its the motor assembly. It has an internal thermal/circuit breaker that why it works after a few minutes.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

imo, its the window motor, my did almost the same thing till i fixed by replacing a window motor
Old 08-01-2008, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Mine did that and I replaced the motor. Now when I try to roll it down, it stops about half way for about 5 seconds, then goes the rest of the way down.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

the one that I'm currently doing is a 95 z28 with 60,000 miles on it so, I think it's just luck of the draw
Old 08-01-2008, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

it is the motors. had the same problem in mine, did exactly what yours did. just replaced the motors. got Dorman power window motors from Summit. my dad owns a body shop and through our local chevy dealer, the motors INDIVIDUALLY would cost 270 bucks! the motors from summit are 50 bucks plus shipping!

so i got them from summit and now my windows roll up just like they would in a brand new car.

here's the part # RNB-742-101
Old 08-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Teching In

LethLS1- thanks for the tip on where to get the motor! My driver side just crapped out so I'm getting ready to replace it. I'll be giving Summit a call!
Old 08-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Its the motor. There is an auto-off switch in the motor that turns the motor off when it senses that the glass is all the way up or down. The points you are describing in the motion have a little more resistance where the window moves in/out and starts to engage some of the stops - so its shutting off prematurely.

As a temporary work-around, you might try, turning off the car, opening the door to deactivate the RAP, turn back on the power, and then tug up on the glass as you engage the switch. This may re-set the circuitry and give the motor enough help to get your glass shut as a work-around. Either way, the motor soon die on you 100%.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

its the motor. i had the same thing happen to me. My window got stuck on me when I was downtown in Chicago. I got mine from Autozone and i think that it has a lifetime warranty. When i took the motor out I found out that it had water in it and must have shorted out. I found out how it leaked and fixed that and now it works great. I think that i might have to do the passenger side now though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bad window motor or regulator, or both