General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeaky...something...When AC is on...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky...something...When AC is on...

When I have my AC on for about 15 minutes.
Something starts squeaking when I hit some bumps on the road.
THis is caused by the water that runs of the condenser..
I don't know what it is (maybe the swaybar ends)
Drives me nuts...
Anyone have a solution to this, besides no having the AC on...
Old 08-04-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I would say that if it ONLY happens with the A/C "on" then its one of the pulleys down below. I had to have a new threaded hole tapped into the aluminum because the lower pully started coming loose because the bolt that holds it on got stripped. It would squeak for awhile, then it got so loose that it would throw the belt in 2 minutes.

Make sure the pulleys are tight, but be careful, they strip easy because they are screwed into aluminum brackets. But if they are, no biggie, there's a kit the dealership has that fixes it in 20 minutes.

Or, maybe the pulley(s) are simply going bad. They may start squeaking in 15 minutes because they get hot.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by needadvice
Well, I would say that if it ONLY happens with the A/C "on" then its one of the pulleys down below. I had to have a new threaded hole tapped into the aluminum because the lower pully started coming loose because the bolt that holds it on got stripped. It would squeak for awhile, then it got so loose that it would throw the belt in 2 minutes.

Make sure the pulleys are tight, but be careful, they strip easy because they are screwed into aluminum brackets. But if they are, no biggie, there's a kit the dealership has that fixes it in 20 minutes.

Or, maybe the pulley(s) are simply going bad. They may start squeaking in 15 minutes because they get hot.
Thanks for the info.
My car did trow the belt away doing about 120 mph but I don't think is a pulley (but could be, how do I check them)
It only happens when I hit a bump, sounds like a bushing.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just to clear something up, no water comes off of the condenser when the AC is on. The condenser is on the high side of the AC system, so it is hot. The condensation comes off of the evaporator and out the drain by the passengers feet.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99345hp
Just to clear something up, no water comes off of the condenser when the AC is on. The condenser is on the high side of the AC system, so it is hot. The condensation comes off of the evaporator and out the drain by the passengers feet.
My bad...
I always get those two names backwards...
Thanks for clearing that up...
Old 08-05-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SStriker
Thanks for the info.
My car did trow the belt away doing about 120 mph but I don't think is a pulley (but could be, how do I check them)
It only happens when I hit a bump, sounds like a bushing.
Well, there's only two pulleys for the A/C. JUst take the belt off and spin them, they should squeak if they have a problem. Or if they don't spin freely you probably located the bad one. But the bolts that strip are the bolts that hold the bottom pulley on and then the single center bolt that holds the upper "non-movable" pulley on. The bottom one is a pulley/tensioner so it moves. See if those bolts are loose at all.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Its not a pully. It does it after a couple minutes and only when you hit bumps right? Yeah same exact thing my SS was doing. It was the sway bar bushings (not the end links). You need to take them off and grease them. Spraying them with wd-40 or silicone doesnt work.