General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fan motor wont come on

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan motor wont come on

the high speed fan wont turn on when i turn on the a/c and the car is already on. however when i start the car and turn on the a/c the fan will come on for about 15 seconds then stop again. i cant drive the car with the a/c on cause then it will start to over heat. ive replaced all the relays and the fan motor its self. i dont have a clue what else it could be and its driving me crazy!!! do any of you guys have a clue to what it could be???
Old 08-08-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

frayed wire somewhere or a short thats getting the wiring hot. I know its a bitch, but if you could hook up another fan to see if it also shuts off you'll know its most likely a bad wire.
Fan works, fuses work, plugs are plugged in.

Thats all I can think of.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you say fan are you meaning both fans at low speed and/or high speed? Both fans should operate simultaneously, either on low or high. If it was a relay or circuit issue think you'd be throwing a code (P0480/P0481). I have LEDs on mine and when I get in the car when it's first started and turn the AC on low speed come on, sometimes high speed illuminates for a few seconds, then turns off, then comes back on after reaching the temp programmed into the PCM. Fan diagnostics: www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic8796.php Maybe you just have an overheating issue from something else?
Old 08-09-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the low speed fan works just fine. the high speed will only come on for a few seconds when i first start it with the ac on, but then it shuts off and stays off. then it will start to over heat after a little while of driving, then as soon as i turn off the ac i can see the the temp gauge going back down. but i had a couple good shops check it out and test them and both of the guys said its in the tune or. also it didnt do this before i got the tune. so problem solved, but thanks guys for the input and advise!