General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

dying battery ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dying battery ??

ok i have a new battery and alternator in my z28 but every time I turn on my ac the battery gauge drops far in to the red. I am confused by this because it just started about 2 weeks ago, now when I drive with the ac on and turn the car off then the battery is dead when you go to start it and needs to be jumped, but with no ac it stays at 13 volts and everything is fine any ideas as to the problem
Old 08-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Launching!

It's not the battery. The car runs only on the alternator when running. Check that all your connections on the battery and alternator are secure. If not fixed, take your car to autozone and have them test the alternator.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Take the car down to Auto crap and have them check your battery, they can do it with it in the car (or take the bat out and carry it there). If thats good then take yer alternator off and have that checked.
If both are good then check the little red alternator (I think its called the exciter wire-cant remember at the moment cause I'm ) wire for shorts/bad connection. This wire sometimes has to be replaced.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Teching In

thanks