General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Exhaust Rattle

Old 08-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Rattle

Ok, I searched and didn't find much in terms of an answer.

I have this rattle that happens only part of the time, and has been getting progressively worse. It happens more so at lower rpms than up higher. It sounds similar to a sound that my dad had on his truck, and it turned out to be an exhaust clamp.

So, I had the car idling, it didn't rattle, I revved it up and once it dropped back to idle, i heard the rattle, went out back of the car (the location of the rattle) went by my exhaust and pushed up on the exhaust hanger, and it stopped the rattle, then I pulled down on it and it stopped it too. It looks like the one clamp that goes around the exhaust end has moved back about an inch or so...so would loosening up the hanger and pushing it back help the rattle? I'd really like to get rid of it.

Granted, if I had more cash, I'd just buy true duals and get it over with...but since the guy put on an SLP D/D, I guess I'll live with that for a while.

Thanks guys
Old 08-08-2008, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wherever its rattling move it away!
Old 08-08-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd move it and retorque it. Things tend to get loose after expanding and contracting from heat. If that doesn't do it try getting a piece of rubber or exhaust wrap on it to isolate it if you can. Picture would help.

Search this Thread