General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window motor clunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Window motor clunk

Ever since I put in a new window motor on the driver side it makes a *clunk* as it goes down. it only makes the noise when the window is all the way up or when it is all the way down and i put it up. what gives? install was smooth and straight forward. still seals and works fine, just makes the clunk
Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine too, i dont know why, i've since learned to live with it.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had this a while back after reinstalling a door panel. Check-back out the upper screws common to the handle to see if it eliminates the clunk. Screw was hitting the drive gear just in one point.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yea - You have a loose screw or rivet on your motor or regulator. Need to fix this ASAP - If there is a lot of vibration, it can tear up the fiberglass on the door.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
Yea - You have a loose screw or rivet on your motor or regulator. Need to fix this ASAP - If there is a lot of vibration, it can tear up the fiberglass on the door.

which fiberglass? the layer you have to cut up to get to the rivets?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

the whole door is made out of fiberglass
Old 08-12-2008, 05:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by OffspringZ28
which fiberglass? the layer you have to cut up to get to the rivets?
Yea, in particular, you want to make sure the rivets/bolts are tight in this layer. If they move, they will give you a clunk when they and they regulator move - and this movement will also round out and rip up the fiberglass at the rivet holes.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, in particular, you want to make sure the rivets/bolts are tight in this layer. If they move, they will give you a clunk when they and they regulator move - and this movement will also round out and rip up the fiberglass at the rivet holes.

gotcha. I RARELY roll my windows down anyway but im gonna take a look at it soon enough.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1+ loose rivits on mine caused this problem. it now has bolts
Old 08-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry to revive this thread guys, but I have the same noise on my drivers door so I'm going to take the panel off tomorrow and have a look. Was just wondering whether it's safe to dump that polythene sheet that's held in place by the black sticky stuff, or is it important to replace it after doing what I need to do?
Old 08-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by yabadaba
Sorry to revive this thread guys, but I have the same noise on my drivers door so I'm going to take the panel off tomorrow and have a look. Was just wondering whether it's safe to dump that polythene sheet that's held in place by the black sticky stuff, or is it important to replace it after doing what I need to do?
You'll want to put it back. Its a vapor barrier and it keeps the inside of your door panel dry! The inside of the door is a very damp place as water runs down the glass, etc. There are drainage holes in the bottom of the door, but water will still condense on the door panel if you don't have the plastic in place.

If you are doing major surgery, you may find it easier to just get rid of the old barrier and get a new one from the dealer. If I recall correctly, they are only $10-15. The come delivered like a fruit roll-up with the sealant pre-applied. You just peel and stick. To clean up the old sealant and prep the door for a new vapor barrier - use a rubber glove, grab a dab of the old goo, and then use it to gather up all the old adhesive off the door.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also, when i did the install i had the glass ALL the way up and it stayed up just fine. any harm in doing that? regulator didn't drop it.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

ok - im with offspring and were looking at it. motor is secure and so is the regulator. we can't see where the problem is. The window also goes up/down at a slight angle but seals fine. Any thoughts?
Old 09-06-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

mine does it on the driver side aswell.. only sometimes

already had to build metal plates on my 94 for the motors because the doors where strpped out.. nothing is stripped/moving on my 2000
Old 09-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by KevsfastZ
ok - im with offspring and were looking at it. motor is secure and so is the regulator. we can't see where the problem is. The window also goes up/down at a slight angle but seals fine. Any thoughts?
Another guess if the rivets/bolts are tight - try watching the window (with the door panel off) from the top of the door. There are two felt pads at the top of the door that engage the glass as it nears the closed position, keeping it from scraping up the weatherstripping.

I had these improperly adjusted at one point and got a clunk from them. (I think I had to back them off a bit and was stressing the glass too much.)
Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it could be that the gear teeth on the discount auto motor are a wrong size because i can sort of see them start to move, then clunk and the window goes down. I have heard of this happening with non GM replacements. no worries for now. everything is down tight and nothing is moving strangely.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I've got this clunk too. Its on my pass side, and only when the window is all the way down. When I go to close it from this position, it'll clunk then work normally.

I did also replace the motor with a new one, but I used an OEM GM replacement motor. So I dont think its the aftermarket thing.

I tried seeing what was causing the clunk, but I have no idea. I didnt really look too close to all the rivets tho. I guess its something for me to do in the near future!
Old 09-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Save the manuals!

If all the bolts/rivets are tight and none of the regulator/motor parts are moving with the clunk, you might try looking at things from the top of the door. (with the door panel off) I've had issues in the past when I've adjusted the two felt pads bolted on the top of the door. Sometimes if they are pressing on the glass too aggressively, it will "pop" the glass as it starts motion and releases from the top and/or bottom stops.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If all the bolts/rivets are tight and none of the regulator/motor parts are moving with the clunk, you might try looking at things from the top of the door. (with the door panel off) I've had issues in the past when I've adjusted the two felt pads bolted on the top of the door. Sometimes if they are pressing on the glass too aggressively, it will "pop" the glass as it starts motion and releases from the top and/or bottom stops.
Interesting. These can act up even if I never touched em?
Old 09-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by OffspringZ28
Interesting. These can act up even if I never touched em?
Probably not. If you didn't touch the pads and didn't remove the regulator, the geometry of the glass/door should be the same as it ever was.

If the bolts/rivets are tight, there must be a hang up some where in the mechanism. One other thing to check is to make sure the bolts/rivets securing the motor to the regulator are not to long and causing the regulator to bind when it rotates.

Quick Reply: Window motor clunk