General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! My Car Is Stalling! Need Help Asap

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! My Car Is Stalling! Need Help Asap

So im selling my 99 transam with headers/cb/lid/underdrive pulley/rearend that has 108000 miles on it.and i have a guy wanting to buy it tomorrow with cash but now it just HAS a f'n problem. When i accelerate or give it gas, it SOMETIME wants to stall out. But if i put it in N, start it back up, it works perfectly. it happens only once in a while, never at cruse, only when i floor it. it hasent done it in like 3 days but now its did it 2ce comming home. its like everytime i accelerate hard it seems like its starved of fuel and wants to stall.. it use to do it on start up but now its doing it when its warmed up.
i need help fast to figure out what it is. no codes being thrown and oil pressure is fine. HELPPPP pleasee!!!!
i think its a fuel problem. could it be a clogged fuel filter? maybe clogged injectors? i dont think anythings broke because it runs fine after it does it, and it only does it sometimes.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Teching In

no codes where thrown when i put the headers on and deleated the cats no codes were thrown either so i think it was tuned b4 me, the guy b4 me replaced the rearend and had a hole drilled in the side of the TB, as well as running 2 degree colder spark plugs..

im reading a few things..
fuel filter?
vacum leak?
exhaust leak?
o2 sensors?
MAF sensor?
ground wire disconnecting form heads? i donno really what that ment but one guy on here at that problem..

any of these be the problem? this guy wants to look at it tomorrow and i cannot take it there like this..
Old 08-12-2008, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

replacing the fuel filter is a good start and isn't much work to remove either, you got an auto or stick transmission?

why did that guy use colder plugs? stock our plugs are a hot plug, imo i'd change to trg55 spark plugs regular ones
Old 08-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Teching In

update:
fuel filter changed. added a fuel system cleaner, (possible clogged injerctor?) going to change the oil and add a fuel stab. mob1 10w30 oil mob1 oil filter, lucus oil stab. and lucus fuel stab.

didnt notice the problem but i only drove it for a few mins.
i had a fuel pressure check. when key is on it is at 48. and they told me it should be at 55-60.. could that be the problem!??! i was told a 5psi change is enough to do that..... so could it be fuel pump? even though it runs fine?

and i did change the plugs to those plugs when i did the header change. and it is an auto
Old 08-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Teching In

how do i clean the maf sensor?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Teching In

also, what pump should i buy i dont care what it is i want a quick and cheap fix i have guys calling to buy it and i cannot have a bad pump. so what lpm or whatever shuold i get? 150? 200? 250(which is like, high performance) what is the stock pump at? and any links to tell you how to change it yourself?
Old 08-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Teching In

im having a similar problem with my '97 TA. when i gas into it it drops below idle rpm's then dies on me... wont drive far before it cuts out. well as of this saturday im going to replace fuel filter and fuel pump to see if it corrects the problem. ill comment then if it works.