General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering leak

I've got a '98 T/A and it's got a rediculous power steering leak. Like I'm talkin about havin to fill it up every 2 or 3 days. Well it's started to get worse and my pump/reservoir are right over top of my alternator, thus the fluid drowning out the alternator with fluid causing the connections to be bad in the alternator, thus draining my 2nd battery in the last 3 weeks. My buddy had the same problem and replaced his pump and has had no more problems since. I replaced my pump just a week ago and it definitely wasn't the problem. Anyone got any idea?
Old 08-17-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you sure it's not the reservoir? They crack sometimes...did you change that as well?
Old 08-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't replace the reservoir but I checked it out. Prob wouldn't hurt to check it out again before I decide to keep runnin through alternators and batteries. How likely is it that it's a line and is this a common problem with F-Bodies?
Old 08-18-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's the pressure hose and a return line. It's the top line. I had the same problem. Replace your power steering pressure hose.................