General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mixing oil's or no?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Location: Heidelberg Germany (1.4 miles from famous Hockenheim Ring)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing oil's or no?

i'm looking to do a seafoam shortly, and i'll do an oil change as well, the guy we got the car from had Royal Purple SAE 5W-30 in the car and a few extra quarts. I told my dad to get some of it on the way home from work and he picked up Royal Purple SAE 30. would there be any problem with this if i just mixed the two oils together when i change or should i just bite the bullet and spend the money on some more 5w-30, tossing the other stuff or what?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Go buy some more 5-30 and use the stuff you have in a lawn mower if you cant return it.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

so is that a no? i would like to know before i spend more money, as that SAE 30 would go no where as all of our garden tools are electric over here in germany -.-

well worst comes to worst, i donate it to the auto shop for our school ^^
Old 08-20-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by beerwhiskeyjoe
Go buy some more 5-30 and use the stuff you have in a lawn mower if you cant return it.
^^

I don't think you want to use 30 weight oil in your car. Cold startup might be scary.

Oil isn't incredibly expensive. Why go cheap when you can have piece of mind?
Old 08-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

It's ok, i wont be using the car that much in the winter if at all, the roads ice up easier than anything here and the amount of salt they use is astonishing, i was driving my mom's 3 series on the autobahn and passed a salt truck, it was spitting out salt at a pretty high speed, there was a lot of salt to be cleared out under the hood.

... ANYWAYS, i would really like to know, is it ok if i would? or is it a no no? are there any consequences? an answer would be nice in the next 12 hours, have to run down the shop tomorrow.

and BTW, oil isnt that cheap to a 17 year old with no job :/
Old 08-20-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright then... You're right, oil is far too expensive to to take the chance that you may be wasting money. You may be perfectly fine and have no trouble whatsoever but why take the chance?. Again, I'm pretty sure that although it is not winter cold right now, 30 weight oil is still too thick at startup. Again... why go cheap, just buy the right multigrade oil.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Darksolder
It's ok, i wont be using the car that much in the winter if at all, the roads ice up easier than anything here and the amount of salt they use is astonishing, i was driving my mom's 3 series on the autobahn and passed a salt truck, it was spitting out salt at a pretty high speed, there was a lot of salt to be cleared out under the hood.

... ANYWAYS, i would really like to know, is it ok if i would? or is it a no no? are there any consequences? an answer would be nice in the next 12 hours, have to run down the shop tomorrow.

YES, you can mix DIFFERENT GRADE oils all day long. You shouldn't mix tranny fluid though because the two different grades won't mix together while in use.

Last edited by needadvice; 08-20-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by needadvice
YES, you can mix oils all day long. You shouldn't mix tranny fluid though because the two different grades won't mix together while in use.
read his post again, he is mixing 2 different viscosity grades not two different brands.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OnyxY2KSS
read his post again, he is mixing 2 different viscosity grades not two different brands.
I know, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that. I mixed 40-50 for the first 30,000 miles or so, now I just use 20W50. If there was a problem my 50,000+ mile 427ci LPE stroker motor would be less than perfect by now. Its perfect. On start-up I have 50psi (on the guage) and after warm-up it never drops below 38psi. If I run the A/C hard in hot weather it'll get down to about 30psi at idle.

Just fine to mix different weight oil.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by needadvice
I know, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that. I mixed 40-50 for the first 30,000 miles or so, now I just use 20W50. If there was a problem my 50,000+ mile 427ci LPE stroker motor would be less than perfect by now. Its perfect. On start-up I have 50psi (on the guage) and after warm-up it never drops below 38psi. If I run the A/C hard in hot weather it'll get down to about 30psi at idle.

Just fine to mix different weight oil.
I agree. No problem with mixing oil. I prefer not to but, you should have no problem.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:02 AM
Staging Lane

alright, thanks, i'll mix for now, but i'll stick to the 5w-30
Old 08-21-2008, 07:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Darksolder

If you can't afford the oil you can't afford the car.
30 weight is not the same as 5w-30 but you can. I wouldn't do it but it has been done.

Sounds like you need a job.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

i do need a job, it's just hard to get one over here in germany as i only speak english.

I still have to pay for the car yet, and for now my dad pays 53gallons of gas per month, my insurance, and car repairs in the garage.

If i want anything else done to it, that's on my dime, like the oil, it's not due for an oil change yet, so that's on my dime.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

It will be ok, just not great.

I used all kinds of crap for oil in my old clunkers(I used the break in oil out of my friend's truck in 84 Honda CRX) . But, it sucks doing it to a nice car.

Do what you must, if your broke your broke.