General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Both power windows broken?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Both power windows broken?

All of a sudden both power windows randomly stopped working, sometimes one will work and the other won't and it is very random.

When pressing down on the drivers side windows switch there is a buzzing coming from under the driver side area, sounds almost like a bad relay?

I check the body control module and that isn't the problem, all the sodered connections on it look good.

So, did both my power window motors die at the same time?

I was thinking of taking apart my switch to check voltages going to the window motors next. What would you guys do?

TIA
-Cthulu
Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like its time to get new window motors for both windows, check out shobox dot com for instructions, not difficult you'll be happy to changed the motors yourself and will have saved a lot of money
Old 08-21-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98boxer
sounds like its time to get new window motors for both windows, check out shobox dot com for instructions, not difficult you'll be happy to changed the motors yourself and will have saved a lot of money
Do both motors really go at the same time like that? the car only has 30k on it
Old 08-21-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

I think it just happens when ever, from what I hear on here.

I have 75k on my car and it is a 98, I am still on my originals. Yet I never roll my windows down.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

NO NO its the main switch i've never heard of both motors frying at the same time. try and borrow someone elses switch or just buy one from a junk yard or gm. my moneys on the switch if the driver switch stops working the passenger switch won't work its tricky electrical **** try the switch first much easier to do and probably a lot cheaper.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chevrunner21
NO NO its the main switch i've never heard of both motors frying at the same time. try and borrow someone elses switch or just buy one from a junk yard or gm. my moneys on the switch if the driver switch stops working the passenger switch won't work its tricky electrical **** try the switch first much easier to do and probably a lot cheaper.
I was personally leaning towards the switch.

Does anyone have any idea what the buzzing under the drives side when I try and power the windows down and they don't go is? It sounds like a relay to me but I could be wrong
Old 08-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Cthulu
Do both motors really go at the same time like that? the car only has 30k on it
Yes, it happens and there are other posts on this site where others have been in the same situation. I does sound like both of your window motors are gonners.

I purchased my firebird new from the factory and both motors went out around 30K within 3 months of one another.

Do you live in a humid climate or drive in dusty locations? If so, you may want to try replacing your motors with the new units sold by AutoZone. They come with a lifetime replacement warranty and are of a new design that claims to be sealed better than the OEM units. They may last you longer.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Cthulu
When pressing down on the drivers side windows switch there is a buzzing coming from under the driver side area, sounds almost like a bad relay?
The buzzing/clicking is a normal sound from the express down module for the driver's side window. When the motor is working properly, you don't notice it over the normal window/motor noise.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wssix99
The buzzing/clicking is a normal sound from the express down module for the driver's side window. When the motor is working properly, you don't notice it over the normal window/motor noise.

Hmm, yeah could be. does anyone know what wires I would run a power lead to if I wanted to test them directly. I want to say it was the brown and blue wires under the drive side switch panel?

I'll get the motors to stop working again then ill run a 12v line to one of the leads on the motor..if the motor doesnt go up even with direct current then I will know it's the motor for sure.(then an ensuing trip up to AZ GET IN THE ZONE!) will ensue...if they are over 20$ i'll make two trips to get extra points on my card!!

***EDIT*** Change up my search and found the below.

"More than likely the window motor died. Pull the switch panel out on the passenger side. Then locate the brown and blue wires on the switch panel harness. Those go directly to the motor to go up ground brown and power blue it should go up to go down reverse power and ground on the abve mentioned wire colors. If it works motor is fine. Then it will be a switch problem. I'd change both switches when I changed them in my firebird the motors sped up considerably."

I'll test tonight

Last edited by Cthulu; 08-22-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Default Window relay switch

Did you ever find out what the problem is? I have the same problem and have allready replaced my driver side window motor. I have the same buzzing sound under my dash. There is a relay box in the center under the dash next to the firewall. It is on the driver side center of the car all the way forword. In a box.
I am going to replace it. I hope that will fix the problem. I have noticed that when it heats up the windows stop working so I pulled it out and moved it away from the firewall. windows started working again but I am going to replace it any way. I think the heat has burnt it up.
Did you get your to work?
Old 09-17-2008, 06:50 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 98SSEP
Did you ever find out what the problem is? I have the same problem and have allready replaced my driver side window motor. I have the same buzzing sound under my dash. There is a relay box in the center under the dash next to the firewall. It is on the driver side center of the car all the way forword. In a box.
I am going to replace it. I hope that will fix the problem. I have noticed that when it heats up the windows stop working so I pulled it out and moved it away from the firewall. windows started working again but I am going to replace it any way. I think the heat has burnt it up.
Did you get your to work?
The box is your express down module. Odds are that your "new" motor is probably bad and its probably the thermal resistor in the motor that is heating up and causing the problem. Its not uncommon to have this issue with a reman motor.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default meh

Meh, ever since I took my bcm out it did it twice more then never again. Maybe me installing the nitrous fixed the windows lol
Old 09-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Default window module and motor

Thanks. I have heard that before . Will get another motor not a delco reman this time, and hope for the best. Not hard to replace now since I have the hole drilled out. Aloha
Old 09-19-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Crap

Not two hours after posting the everythings ok and the motors are shot..looks like the reman delco's are crap..what's the best motor to use?

I've heard a few good thing about the autozone ones...

anybody have experience?
Old 09-22-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default c'mon

c'mon guys, what's the most reliable window motor out there? price isn't an issue I just don't want to have to do this again!

and one questions..I called autozone and they are trying to sell the regulator and the motor separate?!?

I thought they were all bundled together?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:11 PM

I just put motors in both doors. Used delco for $30 in the driver side...and autozone doorman (lifetime guarantee $54) in the pass door. after replacing them I wish I had gone with the autozone motors for both sides. I already had the used one so I used it. The autozone motor is much smoother in operation and is an improved sealed design. Its supposed to keep out dust and moisture better. New switches from Gm at dealer were only $28 for both sides.

Quick Reply: Both power windows broken?