General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

slow power window?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slow power window?

so my car was just repainted and sat for about 3 weeks, and now when i try to roll the window up or down it takes forever to go. i had this problem when i first bought the car and after awhile it was working fine. is my motor done or what?
Old 08-22-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

correct time for a new motor
Old 08-22-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people fix this by running a dedicated lead to the window..there are countless threads and many companies sell products for this.(hint use search)

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Most likely cause is the crappy way GM decided to get power to the window motors.
Check with The WS6 Store, look for the AutoTrix window fix items.
I put one on my passenger window about 6 months ago and got a 30%+ increase in roll up roll down speed.
They now also make a kit for the driver's side. I don't find it on WS6 Store's site you might have to go directly to AutoTrix if its your driver side.

It took me about 3 hours to install the kit but it was well worth the time/effort spent.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...8b50acc39b8bd8

Last edited by OEM_TA; 08-22-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Launching!

If the speed changed its the motor. Especially if it's the orig from 98. I've had to replace both of mine in the last year. Autozone has em for about $45. Get out the drill... its a fun job!!
Old 08-22-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry to thread jack.

But can't you just run a dedicated power lead through a relay to get running voltage to the window motors?
Old 08-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by samson_420
Sorry to thread jack.

But can't you just run a dedicated power lead through a relay to get running voltage to the window motors?
Its actually a pair of relays, but yes you could. But you would also have to figure out all the pin connections for the window switch to the motor.
The AutoTrix kit has all that mapped out, includes the relays and wiring, plus very good instructions.
Here is what you are looking at doing for the passenger side window.
http://www.autotrix.net/instructions...indow_fix.html

This link is to a write up I did on my installation experience. Same username as here.
http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/showthre...ght=window+fix

I am told AutoTrix has made some improvements to the kit based partially on my
findings.

As far as just replacing the motor, that will work ...for a while.
You are dealing with a design flaw. If you do not fix the problem of low voltage to the motors the increased current flow will generate excessive temperatures in the motor and cause premature failure. Then you will be back in there again replacing the motor. Only benefit is that you will do it faster since you have had practice.

Better to fix the problem than cure the symptom any day.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

My window does the same thing although it is realllly slow. It rolls up an inch and stops. The guy before me said he replaced the motor. Do you think that the kit will work on mine or do you think the motor is almost fried. The right window rolls up but slowly also but not nearly as bad as the drivers side. Thanks
Old 08-23-2008, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

Well, if the driver's window rolls up only an inch and stops you might have a bind in the mechanical portion of window system. But if it goes up an inch, then if you wait a bit and it will go up another inch and so on until it is all the way closed, its probably the motor.
You might have to replace it or maybe not.
The passenger side probably only needs the kit.
In any case, it would not hurt to install the passenger kit and the drivers express down kit. Then if you still have problems replace the motor(s). After the kits and new motors it should be the last time you have that problem.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

I will put the kit on first and if its still there I will buy a new motor. Is there some place I should look for a good motor. Or just another autozone one. Thanks
Old 08-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Why are these motors so crappy! I replaced my drivers side motor last year, and now the passerenger one is going.
Here's a suggestion.... If you're thinking about getting tints, get them after the motor(s) is replaced. If your windows are tinted now, you will most likely have to get them re tinted, because the moron who put my motor in scratched most of the tint off the window.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

ok so it rained today.... window now goes normal speed? anyone got any ideas?
Old 08-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Check the harness to make sure there is not a short somewhere.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

like around the window? the passanger or drivers side? or the engine harness? im stupid
Old 08-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Take your door panel off and take the window motor out and check the lines going to it. There should be posts on here how to install a motor and remove one. Make sure all the connections are good. For it to not work and then work fine it sounds like something may be loose like a connection or a short. It does not take that long honestly if you try not to get frustrated
Old 08-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

While the panel is off you should lubricate the regulator arms and all of the window tracks.

Thanks for the write-up OEM TA
Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by autotrix
While the panel is off you should lubricate the regulator arms and all of the window tracks.

Thanks for the write-up OEM TA

You are quite welcome, I push your window fix at every opportunity that arises.
Nothing like a product that works as advertised.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the window goes up an inch and stops the motor is on it's way out the door. The motor has an overload on it and it shuts off to cool and then you can go again and its worse at the top where the window has the most pressure on it. If you have to replace it just get a motor at autozone or another parts store, they have a lifetime warranty and run about 60 bucks.
There is a good article on shbox.com with pics of the job. It will take about 2 hours on your first one that is what it took me and about 30min for each one after that. For the guy who got his tint scratched I don't know what your guy did but the window should be up or pushed up if it was down and nothing should ever touch the glass. The article on how to replace it is very good just if you have a newer car than the one in the article you will want to remove the speaker for access to the motor. Word to the wise if you are going to remove the motor for any reason like to check the wires you might as well replace it these motors are known for going so for 60 bucks do it while you are there.

Quick Reply: slow power window?