General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

eletrical issue of some kind..... need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eletrical issue of some kind..... need help

just tried to start my car today. and there is no turning over of the engine over. just a fast repeated clicking sound clicking noise.

when i turn the key to just the on spot. like to raise or lower a window. the voltage is clicking and the gauges are barely moving up then down matching the click sound.

is this the battery? or has the starter/alternator went to crap? i know for a while when i would just have my car key on the on position. the battery would just show having right at the top of the hazard area for a charge.

but while running it always would be right at 13v.

i had had some trouble as of late of a few times the card didnt want to start right off and i had to kinda give it some gas to get it going. any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your running in the 12's and you can't diagnose an electrical problem?

Fastest noob on the earth! j/k man, go get your volt meter!

Measure voltage at the battery make sure you are getting around 12 if not get a jump to start the car, once it is running measure voltage going from your alternator to a ground, if your not getting any voltage there then your alternators not charging your battery and the battery is draining.

If you do get voltage at the alternator your battery could be on its way out, take the battery up to autozone/murrays/napa and have them test. If the batter AND the alternator are good you need to make sure your starter is grounded and that it's power lead is getting voltage.

I'm betting it's just a bad battery or a dirty power lead/really bad ground.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heh if i had a volt meter i would have used it already

anyhow it was the battery. i jumped the car off. now letting it run for a bit to see if the battery will even hold a charge. before attempting to drive to walmart for a new one lol
Old 08-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Walmart? Is that the performance car battery store too?