General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaky t-tops

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaky t-tops

I discovered that my car is, in fact, NOT waterproof during a tropical storm. I'm airing it out a little now that the storm is gone but I was hoping for some suggestions on how to keep my t-tops from leaking. I know it's the t-tops since I watched it drip (just the driver's side in 2 spots).

If I have to replace the seals, where would I get them? Hopefully not the stealership.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

where are they leaking? on the front or on the back where the latch is?
Old 08-23-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It leaks on the latch side. Is it something to do with the window possibly not seating properly?

I do know that I am missing one of the metal brackets inside the door that hold the glass against the inside of the door when it's all the way up. I don't know what it's called and can't find a picture that resembles it on GMPartsDirect but it has pieces of felt on the parts that touch the window because the window slides up against it.

Basically, if you have my driver's door open and the window up, you can jiggle the window back and forth.

Is this not sealing the window to t-top well enough? It is just the driver's side that leaks too.

I'm going to grab a picture of it if I can.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

ok, try this

take the t-top off, take a hose on low pressure, and put the hose over the latch weatherstripping where the little bolt is. There is a drain already there but on mine the water is going through where the bolt is, meaning the weatherstripping at the little bolt is the source of leak. Best thing to do for that is to take the bolt out, and apply some silicone underneath the weather stripping, put bolt back in.