General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Low Voltage on 2001 Trans Am..

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Voltage on 2001 Trans Am..

Hmmm.. did some searching and havent found what i am looking at yet. I have a 2001 Trans Am.. Auto with 3200 stall, midlength macs, lid and cutout, and a ASP underdrive pulley. For the past 4-5 yrs my voltage has been reading low on the car while driving.. Especially at night with the AC on. The dash lights are dull red instead of bright red and the battery meter almost reads at the yellow on the left. Once I give it gas on the hwy, it'll stay in the middle while coasting but once I come off the hwy, the voltage meter drops back to the left almost hitting the yellow.

The car has never left me stranded and always starts up but I pretty much need a new battery every year (under warranty). The car was bought brand new and only has 27k miles on it as of today. Its not my daily and is driven maybe 50 miles a week and I use a trickle charger on it before my drive. It idles and runs fine. I was thinking it was the alternator but if it was, wouldnt the alternator have already gone out especially if the problem has been lingering for 4 yrs?.. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Bobby
Old 09-02-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I see you have an underdrive pulley, I would start there.

Last edited by Danny2tek; 09-02-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:01 AM
Teching In

Hi there. Check this thread. I had the same problem with my car since I got it. When I fix the other problem that I had described in this thread it also fix my low voltage problem. Hope this might help you too.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/981276-alternator-problem-please-help.html
Old 08-03-2010, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

weirrddd! Its been so long since I posted about the problem. I use a trickle charger on the car couple times a week and the battery has a full charge. However, when i drive around with the headlights, fogs, AC on and come to a light, the dash lights still get really dim. The battery gauge is nailed to yellow or a little below yellow. There are no CEL or battery lights on. When I get on the hwy, the lights brighten back up and the battery needle stays at half.

Car has 29,5XX miles on it. Still on factory alternator but the problem has existed for atleast 6 yrs. I checked the grounds etc but no go. Any other suggestions?? Maybe the alternator?? Its obviously charging the battery though even when I dont use the trckle charger. However, when I use the trickle charger, the battery is NOT fully charged unless the charger finishes the charge
Old 08-04-2010, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Check the excitor wire- red thin wire goes from above down to the alt. Mine was broken but from outside it was not visible.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vikingramair
Check the excitor wire- red thin wire goes from above down to the alt. Mine was broken but from outside it was not visible.
I'll check it when I get home.. Do I need to jack up the car? Hmmm wonder if this is the cause of the problems.. The anxiety is killing me LOL.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

i checked that little red exciter wire and no go. I unplugged it.. plugged it back and no difference. Dont the LS1s show a battery light and/or another light when the alternator is going out? I may just get another dam alternator.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

As was mentioned, start with the UD pulley. Around town, your alt may not be spinning fast enough.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:59 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's because the underdrive pulley is making the alt spin slower.

All you need to return back to normal is an ASP overdrive alt pulley, especially recommended for auto cars.

You will need a different belt, I did the research awhile ago, you need following belt: Gates, Part#: K060755
Old 08-16-2010, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mischief
It's because the underdrive pulley is making the alt spin slower.

All you need to return back to normal is an ASP overdrive alt pulley, especially recommended for auto cars.

You will need a different belt, I did the research awhile ago, you need following belt: Gates, Part#: K060755
ok cool.. Thanks guys! I will try this next. I have a ASP crank pulley right now and the Alt. pulley is much smaller right?? I'll start looking on classifieds.. Thanks! What is the part number and how much does this pulley usually run?
Old 08-22-2021, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Low voltage reading

Originally Posted by Bobby C 01TA
Hmmm.. did some searching and havent found what i am looking at yet. I have a 2001 Trans Am.. Auto with 3200 stall, midlength macs, lid and cutout, and a ASP underdrive pulley. For the past 4-5 yrs my voltage has been reading low on the car while driving.. Especially at night with the AC on. The dash lights are dull red instead of bright red and the battery meter almost reads at the yellow on the left. Once I give it gas on the hwy, it'll stay in the middle while coasting but once I come off the hwy, the voltage meter drops back to the left almost hitting the yellow.

The car has never left me stranded and always starts up but I pretty much need a new battery every year (under warranty). The car was bought brand new and only has 27k miles on it as of today. Its not my daily and is driven maybe 50 miles a week and I use a trickle charger on it before my drive. It idles and runs fine. I was thinking it was the alternator but if it was, wouldnt the alternator have already gone out especially if the problem has been lingering for 4 yrs?.. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Bobby
it's the plug that plugs into the alternator on top. Take the plug off, standing in front of the car and when you look into the alternator there are 4 little prongs. It's the 2nd prong from the top. Standing in front of the car take a key and bend it towards you but not too much. Put the plug back on and if the plug is still loose bend it some more until the plug is tight but take your time so you don't bend it too much. Put the plug back on and start it. I can almost guarantee your voltage will go up.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Chlly Chill
I would hope it was fixed 11 years ago when this thread was started lol

Quick Reply: Low Voltage on 2001 Trans Am..