General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Electrical Issue

My driver's side front turn signal light was fluctuating, so I figured it was a either a bad socket or wire because the bulb tested fine. So then I pulled out the socket and left the ends of the wire sitting in the bulb housing last night. Today, I went to test the continuity on each of the 3 wires ends (where they insert into the socket), and everything seemed to be fine until, all of a sudden, the turn signal blinker went off. After this, all the rest started to follow in nonresponse--gauges, dash lights, then even the keys (would not beep when keys are inserted and turned). I checked the battery voltage, and it was fine (around 12.10), but did forget to take the keys out when disconnecting the negative terminal, which caused repeated flickering of power and somehow activated the driver's headlight motor (but not passenger's), flipping it up. Then I removed the keys and reconnected the battery (positive terminal first), and the driver's headlight flipped back down. That was when everything started to go off one by one--turn lights, dash lights, gauges, etc.

Now I realize that the slightest short can cause a whole disruption, but have any of you experienced this? If so, what turned out to be the problem (fuse, shortage, etc.)? If you never experienced this, but are familiar with the electronics in these cars, what would you guess is the likely cause?

I haven't tried starting the engine, but I doubt I would be able to. There's simply a power outage throughout the dash assembly and probably everything else. I don't know whether to just install a new socket, or have it towed. The continuity showed positive on two of the turn signal wire ends--the left blue and middle green. I couldn't get a reading from the right blue because I figured I'd have to have the dash light on along with the left blinker, which I didn't get to do because of the power outage.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the metal ends of the turn signal wires touch one another, could that create a short or blow the fuse? If it could blow a fuse, would it only be the turn signal fuse or could it also damage other systems?