General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Emission Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emission Help

Ok I got my Camaro running today and I went to the MVD to go renew my tags and they said in order for them to update them I need to pass emissions.

So my question is what do you sugest I need to pass?

My setup is PaceSetter LT's, Summit Universal H-pipe.. !AIR and EGR tuned out.. No codes are being thrown and everything is good as new.

I have two cats to use I was going to install one on eahc side of the H pipe and do a turn down after that.. Any help is appreicated

Thanks in advance

-Mark
Old 09-04-2008, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well emmissions are different in every state and you haven't told us where you live or what type of testing they do there so it's kinda hard to help.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Sorry, I live in AZ and they do physical, snuffer and PCM
Old 09-04-2008, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if by "physical" you mean visual then the long tubes and !air!egr won't pass to begin with. The sniffer could be a problem seeing as how you have turndowns under the car prolly and I don't see how they'de hook it up. Most states also have laws about the exhaust having to exit the rear of the car, again going back to the visual. The PCM part is easy. These are the potential problems as I see it.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Well how should I do it then? Im on limited funds and dont have originial manifolds. I still have the AIR system also
Old 09-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Do you have an LT1 or LS1? The smog check places will not care about you having an EGR delete if you have an LS1 seeing as how they didn't come with this but either way you need AIR. As for the LTs... you can pass the sniffer like this (I did) but you will have to find someone that will not care about the visuals. Also if you have deleted your rear 02s then you will have to find someone that knows how to go around that- not sure what they do but the smog guy should know- as long as you aren't throwing any codes they can help you.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Launching!

LT1..

Ok, could I just bolt the AIR pump up? Because it only runs at idle for a few minutes..

And Drake if you can pass in cali with ur setup.. I should be able to pass here in AZ lol..

[Edit] Do I have to go to the MVD or is there 3rd party places???
Old 09-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Ok. I went to test today and I got this....

HC - 1.03 Limit: .80

CO - 12.37 Limit: 12.00

NOX - 4.42 Limit 2.00

My exhuast is as follows.. Pacesetter LT's with a cat on each side and it exits vefore the rear tire on each side (Temporary)

My SES light comes on when Ive been idling for awile and my alternator makes a grinding soound

The car runs fine before light comes on and doesnt change with it on..

Ummm I drove 30 miles and lost 1/4 tank... Idk if that is related to my results.. Also I extended my own 02's PCM side though. And redid 4 injectors but 1 im not too sure if I did right becuase I cut both at once.. so idk if thats why the SES light is on...

Please help!?!?

Thanks -Mark

Last edited by bowtiekid; 09-08-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Is there a way to scan a 95 without a PC??
Old 09-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Launching!

I pulled everything off and retourqed the intake and none were loose.

When I pulled the TB off it smelled terribly off gas. So obviously im dumping fuel somewhere... but how???

Like I said I did extend my own 02's from the PCM side. Also upon start it smells bad bad of gas? Loose spark plug?

Another thing. I was going to go back to using the Opti but broke the rotor. So i put the Opti back together without it. using CA glue where the rotor holes were to keep the Degree wheel on.

Also when the emission guy is on the dyno and hes driving and gives it gas the ABS light comes on...

I realllly need help!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Aynone?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

If you want to go ghetto. Loosen the exhaust at the forward clamps just a tad. Yes it works, I have done it myself.

Or you can try to find what is actualy wrong with your car.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW! You made all those mods with no thought whatsoever about how you can get through one of the most restrictive emissions tests I ever heard of(visual,sniffer and pcm scan)?Somehow I think there is a moral to this story,something like.............................you can't fight city hall?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Launching!

I got the PCM scanned to day and I have the following codes being thrown..

23: IAT sesnor, Low temperature indicated
26: EVAP Purge Control Circuit Fault
37: TCC brake switch errorm TCC Brake switch stuck on
51: Faulty or incorrect PROM/EPROM

37 could be caused by the B&M Shift+ thing module I have.

26 states its a wiring error

23 I dont even know how I could have low temp indicated when I dont even have a CAI lol

51 could that be my tune??
Old 09-11-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^ god damn, wtf did u do to ur car?

#51 could be a bad PCM in general or maybe the parts you have on are causing the car to run too much outside of the factory tolerances. Did you ever get the car tuned after the bolt-ons?

#23 could be a faulty sensor. maybe it is giving a faulty reading? Also, you don't have a resistor or some dumbass box plugged into you IAT sensor to "trick it", do you?

Sry if my theories are so vauge, i have a LS1, not a LT1, so im not sure how sensitive the LT1 PCM's are to bolt-ons and such.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nightrydass
^^^^ god damn, wtf did u do to ur car?

#51 could be a bad PCM in general or maybe the parts you have on are causing the car to run too much outside of the factory tolerances. Did you ever get the car tuned after the bolt-ons?

#23 could be a faulty sensor. maybe it is giving a faulty reading? Also, you don't have a resistor or some dumbass box plugged into you IAT sensor to "trick it", do you?

Sry if my theories are so vauge, i have a LS1, not a LT1, so im not sure how sensitive the LT1 PCM's are to bolt-ons and such.
Yes the car is tuned. It was tuned by MadZ28

No I dont have a dumb resistor in there. Probably is bad, its been sitting out for quite awhile.

Anyone for the EVAP or TCC codes?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bowtiekid
Yes the car is tuned. It was tuned by MadZ28

No I dont have a dumb resistor in there. Probably is bad, its been sitting out for quite awhile.

Anyone for the EVAP or TCC codes?
what do u mean sitting out? The car has been sitting for a while or the sensor itself has been on a bench or something.

The PCM could be faulty then, or the tune got screwed up and that is why it is saying "Faulty PROM/EPROM"; if something messed with the tune, that could be why you have that fuel smell.

I assume ur car is an A4? Who istalled the shift kit? it could be installed incorrectly or somehting could be unplugged and that is why it is ******* up.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Its not a shift kit. Its two wires spliced into the pcm wiring and a switch in the car under the radio that adjusts shift firmness. It was there when i bought the car.

I emailed Ion about it so hopefully he can help.

And no it was in the elbow still, also maybe it got coolant on it, my hose was leaking on the pulley and it sprayed all over that sensor
Old 09-11-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bowtiekid
Its not a shift kit. Its two wires spliced into the pcm wiring and a switch in the car under the radio that adjusts shift firmness. It was there when i bought the car.

I emailed Ion about it so hopefully he can help.

And no it was in the elbow still, also maybe it got coolant on it, my hose was leaking on the pulley and it sprayed all over that sensor
Your IAT issue is it got wet.

Your TCC issue is more then likely caused by that switch for you trans. It was either hooked up wrong or got messed up and it is ******* with the PCM thus ******* with the trans and causing the ABS light to come on when you hit the gas. It could also be causing your PROM/EPROM issue with the PCM.

You'd be suprised what cause's SES lights and **** to pop up; things you wouldn't think would be affected are, it is crazy.

Take that thing off and/or disable it and see if your issue's go away. You might have to clear the codes tho. FWIW's, you reallllly need to be careful when you splice into the harness of the PCM (or any harness). If it truly is hooked up like u said, just a switch and 2 wires, you run the risk of a short developing and shorting out the PCM (hence your PROM/EPROM code). I hope, at least, there is a fuse inline somewhere and that is isn't a serious issue.

Last edited by Nightrydass; 09-11-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Veteran

If I lived in a state with sniffer, PCM, and visual, I would not mod my car.

Before NY went to a PCM only test, the sniffer caused me trouble each year.

Solution: Bolt back all the stuff you removed, adjust the PCM to put back all the deleted tests, and drive around for a week or two before you go for inspection.

Alternative solution: Sell the car for cheap.