General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Clicking noise..voltage drop

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Clicking noise..voltage drop

When I turn on my air conditioner about half a second later there is a click from the driver side of the engine bay and the voltage guage drops down pretty low. Then after the click the the voltage goes back up to normal.

Then when I turn the A/C off it does the same thing where there is a click and a voltage drop.

My A/C still blows strong and is cold but these voltage drops have caused the car to die.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

this happened to my 98 right before the compressor locked up about a week ago. start the engine and turn on the a/c and listen under the hood and see if the compressor is making noise. if so its very good possibility its trashed.
mine worked for awhile until it grinded to a halt.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blockheadnic
this happened to my 98 right before the compressor locked up about a week ago. start the engine and turn on the a/c and listen under the hood and see if the compressor is making noise. if so its very good possibility its trashed.
mine worked for awhile until it grinded to a halt.

Once the A/C is running after the initial click and voltage drop, I don't notice any other clicks or grinding noises.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

Well just for ***** and giggles, try to turn the compressors clutch not were the belt rides but the center of it, should be able to turn with little force.
if nothing wrong there i would check battery voltage, turn all acc on and load the bat, minus the a/c ie.... lights blinkers and watch volt gauge. does it crank slow.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you may have a bad clutch on the A/C compressor, could be an alternator on its way out, the voltage shouldn't drop a whole lot and should come back quick. My car stays about 13.5-13.7 volts and when I hit the A/C on it spikes for jsut a second and all is normal again.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

How bad does the voltage drop when you turn the lights on?

The voltage should act about the same when the lights are turned on as when the AC is turned on.

It could be the clutch on the compressor, just sucking it down. But it could be a charging system issue also.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by samson_420
How bad does the voltage drop when you turn the lights on?

The voltage should act about the same when the lights are turned on as when the AC is turned on.

It could be the clutch on the compressor, just sucking it down. But it could be a charging system issue also.

There is hardly any voltage change when I just turn the lights on. I went to autozone and they tested my battery and alternator and said everything was working correctly.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be the high speed fan relays,