General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mac mid length headers-mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mac mid length headers-mod

Well, I am seriously considering addin the Mac mid length headers to my Z28.

I did a search last night on the Mac headder here and seen where alot of y'all are very pleased w/ 'em. I'm not sure how(or what) I'll run after the Y-pipe, Flowmaster more then likely. But, do I incl. a cut-out and if so, should I just go w/ a manually operated one???

Any experience/suggestions/ideas???

Oh yea, one other thing. What has been your experence w/ the ECM as related to the swap over from runnin the system closed to open header(thru the cut-out)??? Where the fuel and air/performance plays in. I'm thinkin the re-learn process may kick in.

Thanks in advance,
Don
Old 09-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, when I mentioned the change in the air/fuel changes between running closed vs. open headers(cut-out). I guess I was really referrin to the changes in back presuure and the timing adj. of the ECM.

Let's say your LS1 was set-up w/ headers and you normally just drive it occasionally on the street. Then, you get a wild hair and take it to the strip one weekend and pull the cap on the cut-out. To make a run or three down the track just for $h!ts and giggles. How long(or how many trips down the track) would it take for the computer to pick up on the different style of perforance(w/ the lesser back pressure)??? In order, to be somewhat better @ knowin you gettin the better timing adj. out of the ECM for the LS1.

Or am I lookin @ this runnin an open exhuast system all wrong???

Thanks again,
Don

Last edited by Don B 02 Z28; 09-11-2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: edit